Top Shelf Aquatics

Par38 Photo help

Julian_blnc

Trying to get a nice fts of my tank, however the par38s make it really hard to take photos.

Any tips, I using a sony a230, it is a DSLR, i have a 38-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens.

heres an example photo, you can barley see my wellso.

Theres more pictures in my tank thread,

One of the Par38 is a Reefbreeders, the other a rapid led. They are 10in above the tank

DSC08051_zps39d0ad55.jpg

The photos is a bit over exposed. If you are shooting in auto that is your problem. If that is the case I would look at some youtube vids regarding the manual modes for your camera. I usually under exposea bit in order to get good color representation when shooting under my LEDs.

• Like 1

should i reduce exposure by lowering by shutter time or by another method?

The photos is a bit over exposed. If you are shooting in auto that is your problem. If that is the case I would look at some youtube vids regarding the manual modes for your camera. I usually under exposea bit in order to get good color representation when shooting under my LEDs.

This is the exposure you are looking for straight out of the camera.

You should be increasing shutter speed, lowering ISO, or closing the aperture.

2yxj49f.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry that what i meant regarding shutter speed, this one was taken iso200, 1/20th of a sec, not sure what you mean about aperature

DSC08051_zpsdfee0009.jpg

This is the exposure you are looking for straight out of the camera.

You should be increasing shutter speed, lowering ISO, or closing the aperture.

2yxj49f.jpg

Try increasing shutter speed incrementally until it looks good to you. Another good thing about a faster shutter speed is you'll get rid of the blur from moving objects (fish).

Edit: check this out

You should be shooting in RAW and editing with something like lightroom. I normally use a flash above my tank then edit to bring back the color. Setting up a bunch of supplementrary lighting over the tank to really brighten it up can go a long way. Some 6500k Household CFL's might help you out a lot as well.

IMG_7802.jpg

ive never shot in raw, though i know my camera does it,

i dont really have it in my budget for photo software,

I used to use Paint.net before i switched to mac for photoshop applications

• 3 weeks later...

Free photoshop: Gimp

I actually have that, i use it for graphic design and such, didn't think to use it for editing photos, thanks lani

Thought Lightroom was more expensive, at 80 i might give it a shot, usually when things carry a price tag there is a reason.

But ill pronely try rawtherapee first

Thanks

No need light room or other software for it if you set your camera correctly. Here I would try for your camera: set your camera dial to macro shot, shoot picture as the rock next to your wellso and go to menu set it for white balance. Now you can shoot wellso after the white balance has been corrected.

Same method if you want to shoot with AV. ISO around 100 is good enough for fish and corals pictures.

Archived