Innovative Marine Aquariums

Operation: Bring Sexy Back (Sexy Shrimp Breeding)

steelcube

Crossing fingers!

In that article you posted, the author mentions keeping them in the kreisel for 2 weeks after metamorphosis and continuing to primarily feed BBS during that time. I can't say if that's necessary, as I already disagree with their earlier reasoning for adding phyto. That bit of advice mostly likely came from their previous experience breeding other inverts and doesn't apply in my opinion. What I can say is that when viewed against the glass with my micronta, the newly morphed sexies can be seen actively grazing along the glass as they very slowly walk around. So their diet has definitely diversified, yet at the same time, they show no interest in the single Formula One marine pellet I've dropped in there.

The two are still alive.

Well if they are grazing on the algae on the glass, my fuge should be fine. I'll be sure to post the results on here too, whether they do fine without bbs or not.

They aren't really algae eaters tho; they're primarily carnivores. Mine occasionally go swimming and scoop BBS from the water by the arms full. They are more graceful swimmers after metamorphosis.

Have they settled? omgomgomg

Carnivores really? I did not know that. I still think I might just let them go in the fuge, or move just one and keep feeding the other. Not sure yet.

No they haven't settled yet. I think today is day 22. They're about a centimeter and some in length.

Well, it appears that no larvae settled and I found the last one just laying on the bottom of the container after not seeing it float around the last couple days.

Now I'm waiting for a new release but none of the sexy appear to be carrying eggs.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately no, while the sexies were in my brother's tank over Christmas break I think they probably mated, then I brought 3 of the four females and 1 male back with me and the male I brought may not be the one they "like." I haven't seen them carrying any eggs or seen any releases. I'll just have to try and find the male that's still in my brother's tank. We haven't found him yet, it's either in the sump or DT, not sure.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately no. I've been busy with school and every time I head back home I forget to grab the male sexy. I won't be with my tank over the summer and I'm not sure I'm going to start again next Fall. There are other things I'd like to work on and I kind of want to just enjoy my tank now.

Plus I've noticed my sexy shrimp feasting on my sps and that is not cool. It's happened twice and I may not start back up just because of that. They have been banished to my sump (no fuge anymore).

That's a shame. I've seen a number of people come and go from this project over the last couple of years. I was really hoping you'd stick with it.

Good luck with your next adventure!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived