Pod Your Reef

will prizm hold a 50w ebojager heater?

sjwalton

just like the ttitle says. I want to get a prizm skimmer, anybody think i can cram a small heater in there? without mods and keeping the skimmer working?

I've heard some mixed reviews on the prism, maintenence, noise, etc. I've had a CPR BakPak for about a month now and am very pleased with its performance. It costs a few dollars more, but there are deals to be found on E-bay. In addition, a 100w heater will fit in it with ease. I've had no personal experience with the prism, but its just my opinion.

why is every one always dissin the prizm? from my experience the prizm has worked wonders. i don't think you can put a heater in their though.

You could probably shove a small submersable heater in it. It would be a little odd because the cord would have to come out of the outlet though.

I like my prizm.

Once again word of mouth has proved wrong. I had heard that the prizms had some serious flaws, however I did not hear this from actual users of the prism, but rather at LFS and fellow hobbyists using a different skimmer. Here we have two actual users of the prizm that say they're great. So much for opinions based on word of mouth, from now on I will base them only on personal experience or I'll just shut up.X)

I've had a Prizm on my 55 for about 2 weeks now. After pouring water in the chamber above the pump it runs fairly quiet. It's also pulling some nice dry foam out, as long as your flow rate is low. I got it brand new on E-bay for $60 and am very pleased with the purchase.

The collection tray covers the entire top of the unit so I'd say it would be very difficult to place a heater in.

I am really happy with my Prizm but I don't know if you could fit a heater in it. Judging from the size of my tronic heater (I can only assume they compare somewhat in size), there might not be enough vertical space for a heater but I haven't really held it up next to the skimmer. I think the only real negative feedback I hear about Prizms is from people with larger heavily stocked tanks. From what I have heard on a couple occasions, this skimmer doesn't do as good a job as one would hope on larger tanks say 75+ gallons well stocked (the Prizm box claims it is good up to 90 gallons). In my opinion, this fact makes it perfect for a nano. It does more than enough on my nano for skimming, seems to be great for aeration, and doesn't over skim the tank. From what I have read about trace element removal using skimmers, you really don't want a skimmer that is meant for a large tank and that skims massive amounts off a large tank, over skimming your 10 gallon or smaller nano. I doubt I would put a prizm on anything larger than a 50 or 60 gallon but that is just speculation and would also depend on how heavily stocked the tank is.

Archived