ReefCleaners.org

Oceanrider seahorses

Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda

Looking for a source for captive-bred dwarf seahorses, H. zosterae. Does anyone know if the "Pixies" sold by Oceanrider are this species?

mineralrock

haha ocean rider is sooooo secretive about witholding the species name of their livestock

"We do not release the names of the species...however if you are a geneticist or marine biologist you may release the name after DNA testing."

• 3 weeks later...
CanadianGuy
does anyone know how difficult those are to keep?
Dwarves are actually one of the easiest seahorses to keep. The only downside I see about them is that they'll only eat live BBS...other than that you couldn't pick a better starter horse...
CanadianGuy
True 2 year full life span in the wild more like 1yr captive. Lots of money for 1yr of enjoyment.
That's not quite true...

Dwarves can live 18 months to two years in captivity. You can also purchase them for $4 from Florida Collector. It isn't a long time to live...but lets be honest...how many fish live for years in an aquarium anyways??

• 5 weeks later...

come on what kind of a reply is that i have many fish that are over 3 or 4 years old, it's really not hard, so i mean 18 months isn't that long.

CanadianGuy

It's an honest reply. Sure you may have fish that are 3 or 4 years old(don't you know?), but a lot of people haven't or can't keep a fish alive that long. It's not just husbandry skills that you have to take into account. It's the age of the fish, they species, how it was caught, CB, etc.

Lets be real. I wasn't saying that fish can't live that long, just that in most cases they unfortunately don't. Compare how many people have had a fish live 3 or 4 years and how many people have gone through several fish in the same time period. Which do you honestly think is the larger group?

Not everyone takes the time to go to someplace like this to learn all they can before they buy a fish, so that they can provide a happy and healthy home for it for many years to come.

btw...18 months for a fish smaller than a dime is quite a long lifespan.

reef hugger

The Pixies from OR are dwarf seahorses. OR has THE WORST customer service in the world. Say you order a MATED PAIR, they will immediatly charge your credit card, wait 6 months, then ship you 2 MALES, without the cold packs you requested, then blame you for their mistake,and call you a problem customer when you complain. All of these things have happened to people that I know on seahorse.org.

If you do get dwarves what are you going to do for hydroid control? Hydriod can kill adults, not just fry.

Archived