Top Shelf Aquatics

Considering a Breeding Setup

Modder man

Thinking about trying to start breeding there are so many details and things to consider. I picked up two acrylic petco display tanks and was thinking about using them for pairs and growout. Both are 45gal tanks divided into 3 spots and plumbed together for a sump. I was thinking of using 30 gallon plastic barrels for sumps. As of right now that is about all of the details I have halfway worked out in my mind.

NOTE: I blame this on Pickle I read his whole thread and I just cant help but want to try it.

How much water can I expect to use weekly rough estimate?

How much will it take to heat both of these systems?

Do I want a skimmer on each system? If so how big?

What do I want in the sump? was thinking a bunch of live rock.

Thinking about trying to start breeding there are so many details and things to consider. I picked up two acrylic petco display tanks and was thinking about using them for pairs and growout. Both are 45gal tanks divided into 3 spots and plumbed together for a sump. I was thinking of using 30 gallon plastic barrels for sumps. As of right now that is about all of the details I have halfway worked out in my mind.

NOTE: I blame this on Pickle I read his whole thread and I just cant help but want to try it.

How much water can I expect to use weekly rough estimate? Use, as in top off and water change? Depends on a lot, anywhere from 3-30 gallons...

How much will it take to heat both of these systems? Again, depends on a lot. Climate, location in house, air temp, humidity levels, tops for aquariums/sump...

Do I want a skimmer on each system? If so how big? Its been a while since i researched/did this. I had a skimmer on my growout to keep water quality up. No skimmer on my broodstock tanks, but it was only 40 gallons total volume so i could do water changes/siphoning to keep them clean.

What do I want in the sump? was thinking a bunch of live rock. Bunch of live rock, no substrate. A few powerheads to keep crap from settling down there. Heaters/chillers.

See bold, thats just my $0.02, there are much more talented breeders than me around here. They will chime in.

Keep a notepad nearby. Jog down ideas, sketch out the plans and keep posting. If you want to do this, its not much work. The biggest obstacle for me was the minor daily chores. Feeding 2-3x a day was the big one. If you have a set scheduale it will be easier.

I was working full time + going to school full time. My schedule rotated through the week. That made remembering to feed 10x harder.

What I am trying to decide now is how vital it is to have the grow out separate from the breeding pairs. My life would be much easier if I did not have to set-up two different systems, I think I will have a hard time fitting two sumps, plus storing enough water to keep this running.

Storing water is easy if you have any vertical space.

http://www.usplastic.com/

That place sells MANY kinds of water storage containers. Find one that fits your space. If money is a concern, you will be limited to the 50 gallon drums...but they can be had for around $30 if you keep your eyes peeled. And if you have a basement, and its standard height you can double stack them with a little time and lumber.

As far as seperating grow out, i say yes. But many people dont, and have not. I

As of right now all of this will be in my bedroom so space is at a premium. I like the sounds of your prop tank, that was my other idea for these. I am thinking that might be slightly less of a hassle.

Depending on what you paid for those acrylic petco units (remember they paid $XXXX.XX for them, super expensive new) you could probably sell them to a LFS. A friend in our local club was picking up the walmart fish units for free when they were phasing out fish in our area a few years back and selling them to LFS for $200-$300 a unit. They were extatic to pay so little and he was only paying for gas and time.

If you get $300 out of both units, you could set up a pretty nice prop tank for corals. If i didnt have a basement, i would not have attempted breeding. It can be messy work keeping up on maintenance, feedings, moving things...etc. Maybe put it off for a few years down the road for when you get more space.

These would even work as decent frag tanks, make it a bit easier to separate stuff, they are long and shallow I paid $70 ea for them then spent 3 hours buffing them to get them nice and clean again.

Would plumbing this all together with two 30 gallon sumps work well? I was thinking of filling one with rock and the other with cheato or something similar. The setup will likely have a large skimmer.

• 4 weeks later...

Its going. The tanks are up and running. I picked up an MRC MR2 skimmer and a 100gal stock tank to use as a sump. So far I have about 280 lbs of live rock in the sump. Now I just need to decide what to breed or grow. I recently had been thinking about a combo of anemones and clowns in different chambers.

• 2 weeks later...
santacreekfurrows

Man, I'd love to get ahold of some of those Wal-Mart or LFS style setups... I have a room in the shop I could heat and make a fish room.... LOL wife would love that... At least I'd be partially using wood heat so some of the cost would just be elbow grease.... anybody know of some of these floating around the Pacific Northwest?

How's the project going?

Archived