Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dragon's Breath Questions?

duganderson

Will dragon's breath do fine near the top of my compact flourescent nano cube 28? I just moved it about 5" below the surface but I'm curious if this is too much light.

Also, will eat easily die if it occasionally rubs up against my Rose Bubble Tip Anemone?

Can it rub up against a Neon Green Nepthea without damage to either?

Thanks

I think it will be fine as far as the light goes.

With corals it just depends. I am new to macros so I do not know how it will do with the anemone. I was told with other corals it could kill them after awhile. Dont know from experience though.

The lighting will be fine. It adjusts to high or low lighting pretty well. I wouldn't worry about the coral bothering the macro, but the constant touching of macro on the coral may irritate the coral. I would just trim the macro so it's not touching the coral.

• Like 1

I have mine if many different situations.. At the top of my reef under tons of LED light it grows into large basketball bunches lower in the tank when some blows into a cave or under shaded area it tends to be much more red less orange and grows stringy and long. Under my t5 / cfl macro tank it grows short dense almost mat like. from what I have observed, it will kill off sps (lost 2 birdsnest because I wasn't trimming it away) but lps don't really seem to be bothered if it is touching as long as it does not block light.

ive always had problems with intense lighting such as MH and LEDs and my dragon's breath. It always just turns red and lost it's "fire" tip colors. however, under CF, it should be ok near the top. If it just stays red and doesn't get the "fire", then move it a little lower. i have TON's of dragons breath in several tanks.

I have mine in LEDS at the top of my tank and it is doing good. I wonder if there are different types of dragons breathe or if their is something else that causes it to change in high lighting. I have only had mine up there for a few weeks. I hope it keeps doing ok there.

There are at least two varieties of Halymenia in GOM: Halymenia Floridana and Halymenia Floresia. H. Floridana is known as Dragons Breath. H. Floria grows more compact. Almost all red macros will turn orange/yellow under intense light. On my mono culture grow out tanks, I tumble culture Red Ogo in a vertical loop current. Before I tumbled it, you could see the stratification of color in the red ogo. Starting at the surface, it was yellow/orange. As it got deeper, it turned a dark burgundy red. I find most macro very attractive with reduced lighting.

Archived