Cultivated Reef

fragging

ashleybabii

i just started fragging this week and have already fragged two types of zoas, two acraporas (sp) and two types of mushrooms. how long should i give corals before i frag them again? where is the best place to cut the zoas? i read that it was at the lightest spot on the base but i have cut dark and they are just fine. we are turning our 65 into an all frag tank this weekend but i cant keep from wanting to try to frag new things every night and the last thing i want to do is frag the corals to death and my husband kill me lol. i deff need a little fragging advice. i can add pics if wanted

thanks

You can cut up an entire SPS colony if you really want. They will heal up fine. But zoas on the other hand tend to be angry. Cut off what you are going to cut and call it good for at least 2 or 3 days before you start again. Wait atleast a week before you sell them. I tend to wait 2 weeks. You can cut a mushroom 2 or 3 times no problem but make sure each frag has a piece of mouth. It is best to do all your fragging at once on each colony or coral and then allow time for them to heal and regenerate. The less there is of a coral the slower the growth.

yea i told my husband they will not leave the house a day before two weeks. we have five mushrooms on one rock that are getting large, i am just waiting on my husband to pick up my dremel from his buddy so i can segregate the rock instead of hoping i dont hurt them or tear them apart. i also said i wont cut anything smaller than a quater to keep from messing up, if that matters or not im not sure but it makes me feel better. he wants to open his own store i like this whole fragging thing so we may have a system starting.

Archived