Innovative Marine Aquariums

what's digging in my live rock

c_hemmerich

c_hemmerich

i have a 5.5g nano and i just noticed after being on vacation for a week that at the bottom of one of my live rocks, there seems to be a pile of almost dustlike material; definately looks like something is digging or eating my live rock. I know mantis shrimps do this but i generally keep a pretty good eye on things in the tank and a mantis is probably too big for me to miss... or is it? also is this bad?

I have an emerald crab and a few hermits, snails and a porcelain crab. Could any of them be doing this?

Should i set a trap?

I have seen my hermits dig into lr. Why I do not know--searching for some hidden food? I doesn't seem to be doing any harm though. If you had a mantis, I bet you'd see some other signs of it such as eaten snails etc... But I am a noob so I suggest you get better advice!

• 2 weeks later...
birdman204

POOP YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH.

Sounds like a pile of detritus from a boring worm , (sipiculan possibly). More flow would alleviate the problem.

ReeferMonkey

Yeah Bird is right on (as usual...) with Sipiculan aka Peanut Worm. Relatively harmless, AFAIK. I have a couple in my tank.

Archived