Cultivated Reef

RO system. Worth it for me? Recommendations?

SaltyinNJ

I currently have only a 7 gallon nano which I purchase RO water for at $.50 gallon. I plan on converting my 29 gallon freshwater tank to reef over the next year. I am considering a RO system for convenience and thinking for savings over the long term.

I noticed Chris sells systems on this site and want to know if anyone has one and if they are happy. The price seems to be very good from what I have seen. Any other recommended brands of RO I should consider? The other one I was looking at was a Kent 3 stage.

Also, I was looking at the 50 to 75 gallon per day range (even though it is overkill) only because the price difference is not that much. Would I be making a good move doing this or am I missing something.

Any feedback or suggestions greatly appreciated.

I'd go with a system from these guys for

sure: http://www.aquaticreefsystems.com/

The support is simply fantastic and the price

is nearly impossible to beat.

I'm a really happy customer :) Also, you may

want to think about getting one of the

drinking water kits while you are at it.

I picked up a TDS meter and ran a battery

of tests on my home water before installing

our system... bottom line, I seek out good

water now :) Even some of the store bought

water had tons of unknown junk in it.

Thanks for the responses.

Is RO/DI that much an improvement in water quality over RO alone? I thought that RO eliminated like 95 to 99% of the bad stuff. Please correct me if I am misinformed. Thanks.

Another benefit of owning an RO system is that not only can you top off your aquarium when you feel like it but you'll always have a fresh source or water for drinking or whatever you need to do.

Originally posted by SaltyinNJ

Thanks for the responses.

Is RO/DI that much an improvement in water quality over RO alone?  I thought that RO eliminated like 95 to 99% of the bad stuff.  Please correct me if I am misinformed.  Thanks.

R/o filters do remove the vast majority of impurities. However the big difference with ro/di is that di also removes most silicates and phosphates, which regular ro will not remove. If you despise nuisance algae, and your dropping the coin on a system, you might as well pay a few extra bucks and get the ro/di.

Archived