ReefCleaners.org

baby bastomussa what to do?

xcajx

My new blasto has many many of these new polyps growing and I was wondering where to place it as it is on the sand right now. Will they move onto rock if I can place it on one? Or do they create a skeleton?

Thanks,

Chris

PS It isn't loose, it is already attached to the rock it came with.

Originally posted by xcajx

I just got a great .pdf that explains the process. If anyone wants it let me know. It covers all corals btw.

Please send us a link! Sounds really useful.

harbingerofthefish

they do create a skeleton. so it wont "move" on rock. They grow similar to candy canes, hammers, and the rest of the family.

I have on the sand bed. its probally the size of a golfball with like 15-20 heads now (pretty good since it started with 2).

Is your really that orange?

And...not sure if this is what your talking baout, but the polyps on the right side in the pic are not blastomussa. They look more like daisy polyps.

birdman204

Yes to what harbinger said, A recently acquired piece of blastos I rcvd have a similar growth on them, I leaned them against a rock in hopes of them spreading, although from what I hear, certain daisy/clove polyps can be hardier than others.

Cool blastos BTW.

harbingerofthefish

i still think they are in the family Clavularia. of course that includes Diasy, clove, glove and star polyps. granted most daisy polyps have feathery tentacles like pipe organs do. but the family is basically the same coral with multiple common names for the different finger apperance just all lumped together. Clove typically have the smooth finger type so maybe thats what the common name is. Care for the family seems to be the same across the board so either way...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...=22&pCatId=1604

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di...d=22&pCatId=671

movingshadow

I'd be leaning toward clavularia spp. as well on those little babies... blastomussa builds (as stated above) calcified sclerites (a skeletal base) so it wont attach to a rock like a soft coral. they like medium light though I've had great success with them under higher lighting as well. I cemented (aquamedic reef compound) the base to the reef though placement in the substrate will work fine. my 2 tiny heads have grown into a nice little colony of about 20+ heads in just around 6 months....

great color on those blasto's btw, hard to find that kind of orange and purple here in deutschland :) lucky you!!

• 2 weeks later...
RAY TERRANELLA

Your best placement for a blasto colony is on rock they produce a skeleton but will definitely spread onto any rock near them.Current should be moderate... lighting indirect.If you want more info on them read Eric Bornemans" Aquarium corals".The're hardy corals not to demanding.

birdman204
Originally posted by harbingerofthefish

......Clavularia. of course that includes Diasy, clove, glove and star polyps.  ....

AND MOST SPECIMENS STILL REMAIN UNCLASSIFIED IN THIS GENUS SO AN EXAXCT ID WOULD BE TOUGH. SO GENERAL NAMES ARE GIVEN TO THEM FOR NOW, SUCH AS GLOVE , CLOVE AND DAISY POLPYS.

Sorry for the caps...

Archived