inTank Media Baskets

LEDTRiC iNSPIRE

tigrtraps

The LEDTRiC iNSPIRE was waiting for me when I got home last night. Delivery was a quick 4 business days to my door. This smart LED fixture has kept my attention since it was announced. It promises high power output, ease of use, customizability, and a wireless remote so I don’t have to get off my couch to turn on the moonlights. The light was announced sometime back in August of 2012 and was available shortly after. Recently a price drop came from LEDTRiC.com if the buyer is ok going with a shorter warranty, and that is what made me pull the trigger.

post-73301-0-63853000-1358025323_thumb.jpg

HARDWARE

Solid. The one word that really describes this unit. It’s 8lb’s of weight isn’t overwhelming. In fact it inspires (ha....) confidence in the product. My roommate, who isn’t into fish stuff whatsoever, held the light and immediately said “feels like quality”. The sleek silver aluminum chassis fits the unit very well as it is flanked by the strong plastic end caps. Everything is tight and nothing rattles if shaken. There are no physical buttons on the fixture, only the main power switch on the right side

post-73301-0-47676900-1358025370_thumb.jpg

Small things were thought of as well in the design of the body. There are plastic feet on the unit’s LED face so if you sit the unit LED side down on a table it sits on the plastic feet and not the lenses. The packaging came with a standard hanging hook that connects to four points on the iNSPIRE. The power cable plugs into the top side by a 3 pin power plug with a screw cap to hold down the power plug. The front of the unit has has a digital display that brightly shows red text which is easy to read from across the room. Beside the display is the IR sensor for the remote.

post-73301-0-70661000-1358025384_thumb.jpg

LED’s

52 LED’s canvas the almost 16 inch long body. The LEDTRiC iNSPIRE features 5 different colors of LEDs; 11-6500K CW, 25-455NM RB, 8-420NM TV, 4-495NM Cyan, 4-660NM Deep Red. These are spread out over 4 channels, and each channel can be controlled independently on a 0% power up to 100% power. The iNSPIRE comes with 120 degree lenses, but if you ask nicely LEDTRiC can take those off. These are laid out in a staggered formation and the colors are mixed between each other. The light spread at 17” off the water will overlap a 36” long 40 breeder. I may find a 48” tank just to see what the light would look like above it.

post-73301-0-75912000-1358025426_thumb.jpg

post-73301-0-64365900-1358025438_thumb.jpg

post-73301-0-84088100-1358025456_thumb.jpg

post-73301-0-89898800-1358025468_thumb.jpg

post-73301-0-74411200-1358025479_thumb.jpg

Features

As a smart lighting fixture the iNSPIRE lists a slew of desirable features. Out of the box it has a preset day/night cycle with “natural weather simulation” (no lightning as far as I can tell). That actually means at 10 a.m. the first 3 channels begin to ramp up in a linear fashion from 0% to 100% culminating at 11:40 a.m.. The 4th 6 RB channel follows a separate schedule as it also pulls moonlight duty. For daytime duty it begins it’s ramp up at 6 a.m. and hits 100% at high noon. The channels all hold their 100% until 6 p.m. and then they begin to ramp down. It should be noted that this built in preset schedule with “natural weather simulation” cannot be modified. The preset schedule start and stop times are set in stone, as well as the unit going all the way to 100% intensity. A person can always off-set the unit’s clock to manipulate the start/stop times, but if your tank isn’t ready for the 100% intensity of the LEDs this isn’t the setting for you.

A user can set their own custom schedule. Each channel has 8 points in the 24 hour schedule it can be programmed for. This is all done by use of the wireless remote and the display screen. None of which is overly complicated. The wireless remote is also the only way to control the unit. Powering on the LEDs, programming, changing light intensity, anything and everything. That works fine as long you don’t drop the remote in the aquarium.

There is the one part of the light I’m having an issue with. The fan’s are always on, always. The fans are on when the LEDs are off or have been off for hours and the unit is cold (21 degree celsius read by the Temp monitor on the unit). The only way to turn them off is to turn off the main power switch. This is how the unit has been designed, as it does provide bulletproof protection of the components and insures LEDTRiC’s 1-3 year warranty.

Coverage Pictures

post-73301-0-30024500-1358025534_thumb.jpg

post-73301-0-66590900-1358025546_thumb.jpg

post-73301-0-27507400-1358025560_thumb.jpg

post-73301-0-04866700-1358025572_thumb.jpg

post-73301-0-70773100-1358025602_thumb.jpg
post-73301-0-70424800-1358025630_thumb.jpg

I’m intending to put the iNSPIRE over a custom 42”x20”x18” tank I have coming. It will hang approximately 17-19 inches above the water line to get the coverage that I want. Of course updates will follow on growth, and long term use of the iNSPIRE.

Good write up. Although I'm worried about the "lowering price for shorter warranty" thing. That and the fans being on constantly are an automatic turn off for me.

Great write up, just wondering if the fans are "loud"? My tank is right next to my bed and I don't mind too much noise (my overflow makes noise but I don't mind the soothing sound of falling water. I just don't want to hear a humm as I'm trying to sleep.

Good write up. Although I'm worried about the "lowering price for shorter warranty" thing. That and the fans being on constantly are an automatic turn off for me.

they arent always on though... try reading again.

Oh ya? "There is the one part of the light I’m having an issue with. The fan’s are always on, always."

Jacob042426, on 12 Jan 2013 - 15:36, said:snapback.png

Oh ya? "There is the one part of the light I’m having an issue with. The fan’s are always on, always."

As is in the review, the master switch kills the fans. It turns off power to the whole unit though, so your timers are also off at that point. Take it as you will.

As is in the review, the master switch kills the fans. It turns off power to the whole unit though, so your timers are also off at that point. Take it as you will.

Obviously. But then I'd reckon to guess that if you turn off that master switch you also lose all your programmed mode. That doesn't make any design sense does it.

• Like 1

Obviously. But then I'd reckon to guess that if you turn off that master switch you also lose all your programmed mode. That doesn't make any design sense does it.

I was excited about the fixture because of the spread over a 40 Breeder until this point.

• Like 2

I was excited about the fixture because of the spread over a 40 Breeder until this point.

Ya I thought it had potential.

Another thing. Why put the label on the top of the fixture? 3rd picture. That doesn't make any sense either.

• Like 1

Settings will be fine actually, taken from the user instructions:

"When done, press the "HEART" button to save all of your settings in case of a power outage. The iNSPiRE unit will automatically store all of this info in it's integrated memory and will be saved for up to 45 days without a power source".

In the short time I've been playing with it (keyword playing, it is not currently over a tank) it does save the settings.

It should hold it in memory. Even my $10 china temp controller holds memory when it loses power. Still lame either way.

Edit: Tigrtraps beat me too it. You could always put it on a timer, although I wouldnt expect to have to put a light f this caliber on a timer.

• Like 1

"When done, press the "HEART" button to save all of your settings in case of a power outage. The iNSPiRE unit will automatically store all of this info in it's integrated memory and will be saved for up to 45 days without a power source".

In the short time I've been playing with it (keyword playing, it is not currently over a tank) it does save the settings.

Well that is good to hear then. But the fans being on all the time is still annoying. Maybe they will fix that in the design.

I wonder if it could be put on a timer to kill those fans at night and then the program would function normally once the timer turns on in the morning.

I wonder if it could be put on a timer to kill those fans at night and then the program would function normally once the timer turns on in the morning.

I'm sure that would work. Could also use a controller. But the fans should just turn off when the light is off. haha

First, I want to thank tigrtraps for his awesome review. Much appreciated!

Second, just want to clear up somethings for everyone.

This is actually something introductory to get the units out and try to hope "word of mouth" increases it's visibility, considering we are not a HUGE budget company, this is something we thought would be best long term, plus it gives our customers an opportunity to get the unit at a very discounted price. Not to mention their were a few people who requested this idea and considering we like to listen to our customers, we put it into effect, but again, it will be going away in the next month or so.

The fans being on constantly is the only way to effectively and responsibly offer the 3-year warranty. It protects the LEDs and Drivers from overheating and causing damage to themselves or the whole unit.

Great write up, just wondering if the fans are "loud"? My tank is right next to my bed and I don't mind too much noise (my overflow makes noise but I don't mind the soothing sound of falling water. I just don't want to hear a humm as I'm trying to sleep.

The fans are actually not loud, but then again, "loud" and "silent" are dependent on each individual user and where the tank is located, what other sounds are around it, etc. In there defense, they are actually pretty silent.

Yes, Master switch turns off the fans. If you prefer not to run moonlights or any lights at all, at night, then setting the unit up on a timer would be your best bet to prevent hearing any type of possible fan noise, although it is very minimal.

The fan settings were originally designed for the preset module, considering the LEDs are almost always on.

You are incorrect. By turning off the master switch, you will NOT lose any programming settings you have created. The unit can be powered off for days, if not weeks without losing any of its programming settings. So yes, you are correct, that IF that were the case, it would NOT make any design sense, but this is NOT the case with the iNSPiRE.

What point exactly are you referring to? The unit will save the programmed settings if it is manually switched off via the master switch or controlled through some type of timer / aquacontroller.

Ya I thought it had potential.

Another thing. Why put the label on the top of the fixture? 3rd picture. That doesn't make any sense either.

It has more than potential. We have aquarium stores taking down their Halides, T5's, Radions and AI's to replace them with our iNSPiRe Reef Fixtures. This tells me something.

Where would the label have been better off? Lol. Please let me know and we will take it into consideration.

Thank you for clarifying this.

It should hold it in memory. Even my $10 china temp controller holds memory when it loses power. Still lame either way.

Edit: Tigrtraps beat me too it. You could always put it on a timer, although I wouldnt expect to have to put a light f this caliber on a timer.

So, now that it does actually do what you assumed it didn't, still lame? Can you please elaborate as to why? Lol, a little confused here.

Well that is good to hear then. But the fans being on all the time is still annoying. Maybe they will fix that in the design.

This is something we will take into consideration to fix in the future, but like I stated before, the fans are running based on our Preset feature.

Yes, you can do this if you decide to run it this way, if you decide to run it on custom settings.

quote=eddiecorrea" post="4152207" timestamp="1358034605"
I'm sure that would work. Could also use a controller. But the fans should just turn off when the light is off. haha
/quote

Again, just comes down to mixing the fan control with our preset feature. We will take it into consideration and try to implement it into the design.

Thank you everyone for your comments/suggestions/feedback! We greatly appreciate it and will always do the best we can to provide the best products possible for the best prices!

Feel free to email me with anymore questions, concerns, feedback, etc. at mike@ledtric.com

Thanks again!
Mike C.

Thanks for clarifying this Mike.. It's nice to see a company on top of their customer service in such a timely manner. Also, thanks for the quick reply to my emails about the fans, it looks like everything will be fine when my inspire fixture arrives tomorrow.

Chris

So, now that it does actually do what you assumed it didn't, still lame? Can you please elaborate as to why? Lol, a little confused here.

This is something we will take into consideration to fix in the future, but like I stated before, the fans are running based on our Preset feature.

I assumed it did hold the memory. I do think it's lame that the a timer is required to turn off the fans. I would like to see the fans controlled by temperature. I like what your doing as a company but the fan always on is definitely not a feature I'm a fan of.

• Like 1

Glad to see Mike C. pop in. This is my 2nd purchase from Mike and he replies quickly, will answer your questions and stands behind what he is selling. I've encountered many lesser companies that would gladly take your money and run. He really does mean it when he says to email him for anything related to the lights.

Thanks for clarifying this Mike.. It's nice to see a company on top of their customer service in such a timely manner. Also, thanks for the quick reply to my emails about the fans, it looks like everything will be fine when my inspire fixture arrives tomorrow. Chris

Post some pics when you get it! Or your own review, or both!

Glad to see Mike C. pop in. This is my 2nd purchase from Mike and he replies quickly, will answer your questions and stands behind what he is selling. I've encountered many lesser companies that would gladly take your money and run. He really does mean it when he says to email him for anything related to the lights.

Post some pics when you get it! Or your own review, or both!

I just made my second purchase as well from Mike when I picked up the INFUSE4. The infuse also runs the fans the entire time the lights are on, but it isn't loud at all. My tank is in the bedroom and it doesn't bother me.

Archived