ReefCleaners.org

Jojoe's 29g Biocube

jojoe972

Hey jojoe, I also have a 4 bulb T5 fixture. I didn't read your whole thread so I am not sure what corals you have but I have rbta, hammer, frogspawn, duncan, pagoda cup, crocea clam, gorgonian, some sort of cap coral, I think and mushrooms. I have in the white( 6 hours) a 10k, and a coral daylight and in the blue (9 hours)I have an actinic and a purple (magenta). I love the looks of that color combo and so do my corals.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey jojoe, I also have a 4 bulb T5 fixture. I didn't read your whole thread so I am not sure what corals you have but I have rbta, hammer, frogspawn, duncan, pagoda cup, crocea clam, gorgonian, some sort of cap coral, I think and mushrooms. I have in the white( 6 hours) a 10k, and a coral daylight and in the blue (9 hours)I have an actinic and a purple (magenta). I love the looks of that color combo and so do my corals.

Hey Vlangel,

Sorry for the late response but thank you for the info. I have mostly LPS and SPS with a few softies at the moment. Will be getting more SPS once I have the right light combo. Right now I am running ATI bulbs (2 B+, 1 actinic, and 1 Aquablue special). I thought I was running the Coral specials but it is the aquablue. Discovered that the RO water I buy from an LFS was basically tap water this weekend. Hence the reason why my corals look like crap and I have issues with algae. Pretty pissed about that but lesson learned. Ill have to wait a few weeks to see how everything does with true RO being placed in the tank. Glad to hear that your tank is liking the light. Havent looked at your thread but what fixture are you using? bulbs?

Hey Vlangel,

Sorry for the late response but thank you for the info. I have mostly LPS and SPS with a few softies at the moment. Will be getting more SPS once I have the right light combo. Right now I am running ATI bulbs (2 B+, 1 actinic, and 1 Aquablue special). I thought I was running the Coral specials but it is the aquablue. Discovered that the RO water I buy from an LFS was basically tap water this weekend. Hence the reason why my corals look like crap and I have issues with algae. Pretty pissed about that but lesson learned. Ill have to wait a few weeks to see how everything does with true RO being placed in the tank. Glad to hear that your tank is liking the light. Havent looked at your thread but what fixture are you using? bulbs?

I actually have 2 fixtures. An Aquatic life fixture on the reef tank and a Coralife on the seahorse tank. Both have 4 bulbs. I'd love to use ATI but I get whatever is available at my lfs, (I worked there for 12 years and they still give me a generous discount). The Aquatic life is my favorite as it has built in timers and only 1 power cord. A disadvantage is that a 30" fixture only uses 24" bulbs so it is much darker at the ends of the tank.

I gotcha!!! There is a distribution warehouse for ATI not to far from my house so I just go over there to get the bulbs. I have the Aquatic Life fixture with the built in timer but it is the 24" one. I am digging it so far!

reefernanoman

I gotcha!!! There is a distribution warehouse for ATI not to far from my house so I just go over there to get the bulbs. I have the Aquatic Life fixture with the built in timer but it is the 24" one. I am digging it so far!

Hi! Any picture updates? I would love to see some FTS with those t5 bulbs! I'm getting tired of LED LED LED tanks only! I also have LED'S in both of my tanks, but I want to see something different. Try to use photobucket or something like that, so that we can see big pictures.

Unfortunately, my phone took a swim in my tank!!!! Bought a crappy phone just to have something so I don't have a way to take pix. Might try and steal my friends phone when they come over and shoot a few. Sorry and I feel you in regards to all the LED's but the shimmer is nice!

reefernanoman

Unfortunately, my phone took a swim in my tank!!!! Bought a crappy phone just to have something so I don't have a way to take pix. Might try and steal my friends phone when they come over and shoot a few. Sorry and I feel you in regards to all the LED's but the shimmer is nice!

Yeah, I think the way to go is to add a few LED clusters in the middle for the "shimmer". I do love my Kessil A160we though. Sorry about your phone. That has almost happened to me too!

I'm thinking about adding some led's maybe later but for now it is just T-5. Thanks and it was my first and hopefully last time on that. Don't use the flashlight app on your phone to look at your tank when it is dark, doh. Use a normal flashlight instead.

• 4 weeks later...
reefernanoman

I'm thinking about adding some led's maybe later but for now it is just T-5. Thanks and it was my first and hopefully last time on that. Don't use the flashlight app on your phone to look at your tank when it is dark, doh. Use a normal flashlight instead.

I heard that! That's why I bought a few small led flash lights for that and emergencies. Much cheaper to replace a wet flash light than a phone! So what color bulb combination did you go with? Pictures? ;)

Good idea about the LED flashlights. Don't be a nit wit like myself.

Im trying the combo below at the moment:

BACK

blue+

coral+

purple+

blue+

Im actually really liking the look but might switch out the purple+ for an actinic or another blue+. Sorry still no pix and I know I suck at life!!! Been dealing with doggy issues but I believe that has been figured out.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went ahead and changed the ATI combo to 3 B+ and 1 Coral+ on Monday. I like the look of this better than the last combo. More blue to wash out the white that the Coral+ makes. I also bought a RW-4 last week. That thing is pretty sweet for the price. Doesn't have as many features as the Vortech but hey I'm happy with it so far. Trying to get a camera to take pix. Once I do Im going to go crazy with them!!!

reefernanoman

So I went ahead and changed the ATI combo to 3 B+ and 1 Coral+ on Monday. I like the look of this better than the last combo. More blue to wash out the white that the Coral+ makes. I also bought a RW-4 last week. That thing is pretty sweet for the price. Doesn't have as many features as the Vortech but hey I'm happy with it so far. Trying to get a camera to take pix. Once I do Im going to go crazy with them!!!

Cool!

Archived