Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Macroalgae vs. other corals

jojoe972

Will a Macroalgae get stung by other corals if they are in close proximity to each other. Ex. hammer, frogspawn, ricordias, zoas, etc.

Searched online but can not find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, but if the algae is covering the coral, it may start to die, and if its sensitive like a frogspawn, it may get irritated by a hard algae like halmedia. I have a lot of halmedia in my tank (on purpose) and I just trim it when it gets near corals.

Bongo Shrimp

Oh well they will live

Actually they probably won't. Constant irritation will cause the corals to recede which will either be the end in and of itself or the recession will lead to infection which will ensure death.

so if a zoa or ricordia grows next to it and doesnt make it thats is fine. I am giving them a ton of space b/t each other. So if the ones that grow next to it eventually dont make it that is fine since they invaded the macros territory.

Thanks for the info

Yes, but if the algae is covering the coral, it may start to die, and if its sensitive like a frogspawn, it may get irritated by a hard algae like halmedia. I have a lot of halmedia in my tank (on purpose) and I just trim it when it gets near corals.

The frog and hammer are below the macros close to the sand. Macros are on the top rocks. I dont think they will ever get that close to it. I was more concerned with the zoas or ricordias growing up the rock and causing issues.

Most macro algae have the potential to suffocate and choke out corals. People have lost colonys of zoanthids and even soft corals to macro algae overgrowth. Keep it trimmed back and it shouldn't be an issue. Just remember that when it spreads on the rock, tweezers and patients are about the only things that get it off.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived