SaltCritters.com

Zero's *official* build thread.*NEW PICS*

ZeroEvoX

Yeah, looks like Dinoflagellates.

I hate those, but all you need to do is get more Flow.

Or, you could use a Turkey Baster.

And blow off your rocks.

Don't worry too much, just don't let it get out of hand.

dude , i dont think i can get more flow, i have a cobalt mj9 and a koralia nano in there.maybe a spinstream?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dude , i dont think i can get more flow, i have a cobalt mj9 and a koralia nano in there.maybe a spinstream?

I'm not familiar with the cobalt, but it sounds like you have a lot of flow in there.

I personally have a 550GPH Korali/Stock Return Pump/Random 100+GPH Pump in my BB Nanocube 12 DX and it's a lot of flow, but it also stays clean.

I suggest you use a Turkey Baster to spot treat your algae by blowing it off and possibly collecting it/removing it.

Spinstream might help, but I don't have personal experience with them.

Overall, I think that taking some time and letting your aquarium mature would be a good choice. It took a few months before I really started being happy with my Nanocube as far as health goes.

-----

If you do choose to add animals before your tank truly matures just know you'll have to be more on top of your maintenance.

Wishing you the best of Luck- Wizzy :D

• Like 1

I think it is very common, I don't think it is dino. When you just set up those stuff will appears (means it is cycling). Once your tank establish a bit more it should go away or your clean up crew will take care of it. No biggie in my opinions.

Ok well its been 2 weeks and 3 days with all parameters still at 0. Im gonna take an educated guess and say my cured rock had no die off.diatoms are also slightly subsiding. Gonna add my clean-up crew this week.

Well added my CUC two days ago, 2 astreas and 2 nassarius. those astreas were moving and eating like they havent had a meal in months lol

Well i added a firefish today! Little guy wanted to jump out of the acclimation tank! lol i think hes enjoying his new home

current FTS:

IMG_1013_zpsc71fe42b.jpg

Tattoo the firefish:

IMG_1012_zps4b5e778c.jpg

IMG_1011_zpsb9ce9309.jpg

I fed him some mysis, Is it hard to train these guys for flakes and pellets?

Well, came home to a dead firefish. Not cool. I checked all params.

Amm-0

Nitrite -0

Nitrate-0

Sg- 1.024

I dunno what happened. Maybe from me moving the rocks around today to place my new frag scared him? I dunno. He had a black lines on his body. I dunno , but I kno I'm very sad I lost my first fish ever in less than 24 hours.

My zoas opened nicely though.

post-78010-0-69153300-1358741683_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well ever since the firefish incident my tank has been thriving, visible copepod population, and starting to show growth of green,purple,and orange coraline.I'm loving this hobby!!

Tank looks good

That sucks about the Firefish.

Is your spin stream noisy? I'm thinking about putting mine back on once I update my stock pump and maybe take out my MP10. My zoas and LPS seem to get knocked around with the MP10

• Like 1

Tank looks good

That sucks about the Firefish.

Is your spin stream noisy? I'm thinking about putting mine back on once I update my stock pump and maybe take out my MP10. My zoas and LPS seem to get knocked around with the MP10

It's noisy, but I got used to it already lol the spin stream actually lowered the power of the return pump a lot , but my clown seems much happier and willing to explore with it, its a double edged sword i guess, my lps i think are benefiting from the spinstream though. My duncan always looks happy , and i mounted him where theres some decent flow. If I ever go sps I think I'll put the nano power head back in. My next upgrade will most likely be the ai nano. I'm just nervous about adjusting my corals to the light. Oh yea I picked up a frogspawn last night. Gonna try to get my clown to host it. I still gotta name that little guy lol

post-78010-0-63496000-1360335653_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Polarcollision

It's noisy, but I got used to it already lol the spin stream actually lowered the power of the return pump a lot , but my clown seems much happier and willing to explore with it, its a double edged sword i guess, my lps i think are benefiting from the spinstream though. My duncan always looks happy , and i mounted him where theres some decent flow. If I ever go sps I think I'll put the nano power head back in. My next upgrade will most likely be the ai nano. I'm just nervous about adjusting my corals to the light. Oh yea I picked up a frogspawn last night. Gonna try to get my clown to host it. I still gotta name that little guy lol

i may have one to sell if you decide to go with the AI Nano. I've used it since November and it comes with the controller.

i may have one to sell if you decide to go with the AI Nano. I've used it since November and it comes with the controller.

Ok why don't you like it? Lol

Polarcollision

Ok why don't you like it? Lol

I'm still in experimental mode and am considering full spectrum light, though I may just supplement. AI Nano sol is a great light for growing and displaying the actinic-type glow of the corals. And I do like the lightning storm. Reminds me of Florida. :-)

I'm still in experimental mode and am considering full spectrum light, though I may just supplement. AI Nano sol is a great light for growing and displaying the actinic-type glow of the corals. And I do like the lightning storm. Reminds me of Florida. :-)

well if you do decide to part with it pm me a price, when and if your positive you dont want it.

• 4 weeks later...

So i got some hair algae,been battling for a month, and i beat it, so i decided to put some recent pics up. That was a PITA btw lol

photo-12_zps0111993b.jpg

lefty

IMG_1163_zpsf0be1c6c.jpg

spanky

IMG_1023_zps22af68c6.jpg

IMG_1154_zpse949ac92.jpg

IMG_1160_zpsd37ff716.jpg

current FTS

IMG_1158_zps6d2401ad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great looking tank.. are you still running the MJ900? I went back to the stock for now with a Hydor nano that I am running at various times of the day.. Are you getting a lot of micro bubbles with the MJ??

Seemed that the waterfall was causing bubbles which then got sucked into the pump and then into the display... It was really bugging me.

Great looking tank.. are you still running the MJ900? I went back to the stock for now with a Hydor nano that I am running at various times of the day.. Are you getting a lot of micro bubbles with the MJ??

Seemed that the waterfall was causing bubbles which then got sucked into the pump and then into the display... It was really bugging me.

Yea i truly love it, i just keep my water level slightly higher than normal, never had a bubble issue.

• 4 months later...

8b4a6efe1cca11e3b62222000aeb43cc_7.jpg6a17ce661cca11e3bb3922000aa81ffe_7.jpg1b5c37f81cca11e3821b22000aeb0baa_7.jpgb593b9ae1cca11e3999b22000a9f17f6_7.jpg

9 months old and my tanks in very good shape. Thanks to everyone on these boards for the plethora of information at my fingertips.

Im actually having a second diatom bloom and i dont know why but im sure it will subside.

• 4 months later...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I did it lol a full year and everything is going great! I just wanna say thanks to everyone on here. Your plethora of info is priceless to me.

post-78010-0-80450900-1389992328_thumb.jpg

So i caught my clownfish (Sir Charles) Picking at a blasto and then he proceeded to dive bomb my YWG(Johnny-5) and Pistol shrimp(ben). Whats hes deal? they have all lived in harmony for the past 76-7 months and today he just feels like being a total jerk. But then on the other hand sometimes he swims right next to YWG like there all BFFL. I dont get this guy. Once i get my new 10Gal up and running maybe ill move him over. Anyone ever see such odd behavior?

Archived