SaltCritters.com

150g Breeding Setup (built-in)

Tmoriarty

So my wife came up with the fantastic idea that I should use the nook in the Office/Fish room to put my breeding pairs of clowns, as well as have some sort of grow out and fry tank setup. From her idea we grew plans to fully utilize the space. Here is the start of transforming a 41"x24"x10' section of our house into the perfect spot to keep clownfish. I have been busy building other things, so I left this build up to the Smallest of my tiny tikes. Tristan will be the guide for this build.

Everything started with the spot, here is what we have to work with.

IMG_3818_zpsb6564eb8.jpg

He busted out that carpet and the base boards with ease.

IMG_3820_zps1037e3a4.jpg

He always has to check out his work.

IMG_3826_zpsd03e381d.jpg

I do not think he liked the placement of this board, he wanted to change it a little.

IMG_3828_zps4282dda0.jpg

Proud little man, tore through most of the framework in just a day.

IMG_3839_zps6675f0b4.jpg
IMG_3840_zps928722fc.jpg

Here he is with most of the base work complete, hard working little man kept at it strong.

IMG_3849_zps620ef2ed.jpg

The plan from here is to use another 40 Breeder as the sump tank, and add three 10g (or five 5g) tanks to the top. There will be a set of cupboards above the 5g tanks for misc. storage. Everything will be trimmed in white to match the walls and make the system a built in that could have the tanks removed and the area could always be repurposed for shelving/etc. One of the 40 Breeders will be partioned into 3 sections (using black Acrylic) that will house the spawning parents. That gives each pair approx. 13g's of space.

I like the idea of a flow through system for the fry so I am making plans to incorporate the fry tank into the system (with the ability to pull it offline of course).

I am happy with what we have going so far and can't be any more excited that I have the full support from the wife on this build (guess she really wants those babies off the kitchen counters :) )

Looking good Tyler - hey - when your kid is done with your grow out you can send him to my place, I have a few things he can work on!

• Like 1

I got a bunch of kids, pick a couple and they can come build whatever you need lol.

I was originally only going to split one of the 40g breeders but I think I am going to split them both, one into 2 sections (both for growout) and the other into 3 sections (for parents).

I plan to keep the pair in my reef as a breeding pair and may keep a pair in that tanks refugium as well (20g section). That would put me at 5 pairs.

Archived