Innovative Marine Aquariums

DIY Custom, Shallow Sump.

Veng

Ok, so I made a post back in my thread as well as it was really getting off topic in my reply.

Where I have the poly filter now, is between the baffles, so post sump crap catching. Which makes more sense to me, although I can see some problems with it. Mostly, am I just going to direct flow around the poly filter if I cut it a little short, and how will it affect bubble reduction.

Thanks for all the help Metro.

very nice work! always enjoy seeing people diy things in this hobby

Thanks!

It was a lot of fun, even if I wanted to scream and cry at times.

• 1 month later...

Nice sump, any updates to it?

Thanks.

I haven't made any large changes to the sump since this thread. Although not being able to see pictures at work I'm trying really hard to remember where everything was when I posted this. :lol:

Currently the sump has a small ATS (Algae turf scrubber), a couple of pounds of live rock (Because I have no other place to keep them alive), purigen, and a large amount of cheato and some other macro.

All in all, the sump has worked very well and I'm pleased with it. The only things I don't like about it are results of it's final location. It's not the easiest to work on and the high water level (proximity to the top) can be a pain, but it works great for where it's at.

If I can find time this week, I'm going to be making some mods to the DIY LED on this tank and we'll get some updates of that up, but I've gotta find a little time to finish it and to then make a thread.

Haha I know what you mean, my reef would be a lot more productive if I could see pictures at work!

Anyways, I figured you might have issues with placement. I can't believe you're even allowed to have the tank on the counter!

My sump is sort of hard to access as well, because the front part of it is a display area and there's not a lot of clearance. I'm actually in the process of re-designing my sump for when I set my tank up again. I've got a link to the old sump design thread in my sig, but I think I made the return chamber too small. So to make it bigger yet still be able to fit my skimmer in there I'm going to have to make a baffle that can be re-positioned some. New sump-design thread time!

Good luck on the LED mods, I'll look for the thread.

• 1 month later...

Archived