Cultivated Reef

Thoughts on new Tunze nano top off?

SULFERHEAD93

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just based on experience I would never use a single sensor topoff. If I absolutely had to it would have to be optical or like the original Tunze or another non-mechanical sensor like elos and some of the others. Yeah, the Tunze nano is a lot less, but dumping all of your top-off water into your sump, and subsequently onto the floor, even a single time, can easily offset the cost of an expensive ATO. Single point of failure is simply not worth it for an ATO. Go with a double from Autotopoffs.com if budget is a concern.

Just based on experience I would never use a single sensor topoff. If I absolutely had to it would have to be optical or like the original Tunze or another non-mechanical sensor like elos and some of the others. Yeah, the Tunze nano is a lot less, but dumping all of your top-off water into your sump, and subsequently onto the floor, even a single time, can easily offset the cost of an expensive ATO. Single point of failure is simply not worth it for an ATO. Go with a double from Autotopoffs.com if budget is a concern.
won't happen it is basically a double. It has a optic sensor that senses water level is low then pump tops off. If the optic sensor fails it has a float switch that stops the ATO water.

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1%5Bpredid%5D=-infoxunter036

won't happen it is basically a double. It has a optic sensor that senses water level is low then pump tops off. If the optic sensor fails it has a float switch that stops the ATO water. http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=US&user_tunzeprod_pi1%5Bpredid%5D=-infoxunter036

The nano doesn't have a backup sensor last I knew. I was looking into it a few months ago when they were still working on it. Unless they added one there is only one sensor.

The nano doesn't have a backup sensor last I knew. I was looking into it a few months ago when they were still working on it. Unless they added one there is only one sensor.
Yep I messed up linked the 3155. It sure doesn't

you were right I linked the 3155.

You are better off getting something else. $100 for a float switch ato is way too expensive, imo. Given the pump is at most $25 and a float switch is $10 (assuming they used a quality float switch).

For the price, I'd expect them to put their optical sensor instead.

Love the 3155 but a single sensor is a no-no IMO..

As mentioned, autotopoff.com? has cheap dual float switch modelss. If on a bigger budget...optical sensor + float switch FTW

I wanted to ask this question!! So no one in this thread has yet to try this unit?

Also for everyone talking about backup sensors... It auto shuts off if running longer than 5 minutes, and it's a low flow pump as well, not likely to overflow your tank unless you have a pico.

Love the 3155 but a single sensor is a no-no IMO..

As mentioned, autotopoff.com? has cheap dual float switch modelss. If on a bigger budget...optical sensor + float switch FTW

i run a single switch from autotopoff :)

I just think at a logical standpoint, for $100, it is lacking. The float switch is super outdated, still unreliable. Coming from Tunze, they are definitely holding back, seeing how they have their optical sensor.

Com'on Tunze, stop low balling us.

i run a single switch from autotopoff :)

like a boss! kahonas.

Have a 3155 for sale. Excellent condition...Newer version with magnet mount and instructions. Woohoo. PM if interested.

I have one of these but I have yet to hook it up. Won it at a reef club raffel. I was going to give it a shot on my fluval spec 2 gallon, since evap for me is ridiculas. I don't have it up yet, but will probably set it up twards the middle of the month when I move to school. This is the only ATO system I've ever had, so I have nothing to compare it to.

One thing I know it does have is thatif it runs for longer than two minutes or something (ie. a float switch failure) it shuts off as a security measure. I know its not an optical sensor...or whatever you guys are talking about, but it does have some sort of saftey feature.

I actually just ordered the tunze nano, ill let you guys know what i think of it when i get it in.
Holding you to it! I will hunt you down if you don't. :)

like a boss! kahonas.Have a 3155 for sale. Excellent condition...Newer version with magnet mount and instructions. Woohoo. PM if interested.
Ricky Ross style

How about the SpectraPure Power Liquid Level Controller?

http://www.marinedepot.com/SpectraPure_Power_Liquid_Level_Controller_Electric_Powered_Dosing_Pumps_Top_Off_Plug_In_Units-SpectraPure-SP5113-FIDPETPU-vi.html

I actually ordered it, just need to implement it in the new build. Is it any good? Thought I'd try it, for such a cheap price... just need Tom's aqualifter.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on this or the JBJ ATO?

I was looking at the JBJ ATO for my Solana but I think I will go with this instead because it uses a magnet to hold level. The Solana rear chambers run much lower than the display so I'd have to the JBJ sensor on the display side which is ugly.

I wouldn't use that EHEIM model simply because of the suction cups.

Archived