Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Damsel compatibility

fortheloveofcrabs

fortheloveofcrabs

Okay, I have a yellow-tailed blue damsel, and sice I hear damsels are pretty agressive, what other kinds of fish could I safely mix with it? Any ideas? Thanks!

I put a 2 1/2 bi-color blenny in my tank yesturday with my 1 inch black tail damsel. The blenny lives in one of the LR's hole. When the Blenny is in it's hole, it is fine. When he goes out and hangs out in the other holes, the damsel get's aggressive and fans it's tail at the Blenny. Nothing seems to be serious, and blenny doesn't get bothered much, he just ducks in the hole ,a dn then comes back out, peering around. Eventually the Damsel wins, fanning out the Blenny. It was interesting to see if my Blenny will be be getting along with my Damsel. I have also seen a black tail damsel in a tank 50 percula clowns at one LFS. Nothing seroius happend. Your damsel however my have a different personality though, and can be alittle passive or aggresive. I have also read one post where a guy said he had a nano in his office at work. He said he had it there for years, and in his tank he had a blue damsel with a clown in it.

Good luck experimenting, keep a watchful eye in the damsel.

My Blenny found a spot on top of the highest fiji rock that does not seem to be territory of my Damsel fish. It seems to be that the Damsel fish didn't even care much about the Blenny as long as the Blenny kept out of the Cave between the rocks. I guess this is the territory that the damsel fish had already claimed to itself. So Blenny found a new hole to hang out at, and was not bothered again : ). At night Blenny swims back to his home in a hole of one fiji rock.

Yellow tailed damsels are one of the mildest of the damsels. I'd avoid totally passive fish, but other than that it should do ok with something like a percula or 6-line. A dottyback will probably end up pushing it around.

Archived