inTank Media Baskets

Clayton's 75 SPS Dominant Reef

ClaytonG

yeah Mp10s!!

I figure I can put one on each end and one one the backwall somewhere. I'll definitely be able to get just about any flow configuration I want with that setup.

• Like 1
Deleted User 4

I figure I can put one on each end and one one the backwall somewhere. I'll definitely be able to get just about any flow configuration I want with that setup.

Yuppp. Go for it :)

I think I may skip the Yellow Belly Hippo, unless I can get him in the 3/4-1 3/4 inch range. After further research I found out that the distinguishing yellow belly doesn't appear until they're around 4 inches. I would love to have one, but I don't want to over stock. Definitely going to have one in the big build so I would like to go ahead and get a juvenile, but I think I'll wait. Especially since I'll be gone for a large portion of the time that it grows.

Also all fish are currently in Quarantine. Noticed Ich on the Orange shoulder yesterday, so went ahead and dismantled the scape and pulled all the fish out. The Orange shoulder had been at my LFS for 2 weeks in quarantine without any signs. So I am a bit puzzled and annoyed. Luckily none of the other livestock have shown signs or distress. I knew I was playing russian roulette by not quarantining, but lesson learned. Now my display is essentially a 20L sitting on the counter for the next 6-8 weeks. :mellow:

Sorry to hear about that man. May hope be with you.

Thanks. Already did one fromalin treatment and I lowered the salinity beforehand to 1.020 as well. None of the fish are showing signs of stress yet, so time will tell I suppose. I figure I should be done with the fromalin by next Sunday. After that I'll keep the salinity low for a few weeks before bringing it back up.

• Like 1

Keep the display fallow for 8 to 10 weeks. I would treat with the Tank transfer method or copper. LFS's tend to run some meds in their water to make fish look good, but once they are out of it they can break out. Copper is harder on the fish, but quicker. I had a velvet outbreak due to not QT'ing and I learned the lesson the hard way.

Be careful with the tangs. They will get very aggresive in the smaller space. I have a 4.5" yellow in my 75 and it doens't like the other fish. Once they get settled they will become grumpy.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

So all my fish are still in quarantine. Still dosing Formalin. Was considering switching copper, but no one around here carries a copper test kit... which is really stupid since all four LFS's carry multiple types of copper.

Purchased a bunch of frags over the last week (21). Hopefully I'll find time tomorrow to post picks. Also got a Blue Linkia, hopefully he makes it. I was able to nab it today before my LFS started acclimating and he's very active. Most starfish that come through here are already turning black in the bag.

Still dosing phyto bi-weekly, seems to be sustaining the carnation coral pretty well so far. It's difficult to really tell if it's grown or not with the way it expands and deflates.

So here is what "ve picked up over the past couple of weeks...

• Rainbow Monti
  • Superman Monti
  • Shamrock Monti
  • Green Slimmer
  • Green Milli
  • Blue Milli
  • Multi Color Mili
  • Pink Lemonade Acro
  • Green Digi
  • Blue Digi
  • Orange Digi
  • Mars the Red Planet Acro
  • Green Stylo
  • Rainbow Stylo
  • Crayola Acro
  • Cranberry Acro
  • Green with Blue polyp Acro
  • Pearl Berry Acro
  • Blue Polyp Green Acro
  • Cali Tort

• Neon Green Wall Hammer
  • Kryptonite Trumpet Coral
  • Knockout Zoa
  • Armor of God Paly

• Skunk Cleaner shrimp
  • .5" Blue Hippo
  • 2" Purple Tang
  • Orange Mini Maxi
  • Orange Rainbow Mini Maxi

New additions-

Rainbow Maxi Mini

Hawkins blue Echinata

Flame Scoly

Warpaint Scoly

Purple with green tentacles Plate

Red Brain

Rose BTA

Superman Mushroom

Neon Green Mushroom

Gold Ricordia

Rainbow Yuma

Elegance

Well... Today sucked all around. Woke up this morning to find my Orange Shoulder and the Blue Hippo dead in the quarantine tank. The new Long tenatcle was moved over to this tank after it fully inflated and was way too big for the nano. It decided to rearrange some rockwork during the night as well. Seems it's foot plus its weight was able to destabilize the left rock wall and I'm lucky the anemone didn't get crushed and that the glass wasn't damaged. I'm pretty bummed about loosing those two fish, but there's nothing I can really do at this point. I think the second round of formalin was just too much for them as my ammonia levels didn't rise and they were all well fed. At least I didn't loose my maroon clowns or the purple tang that was in the same tank. Could have been worse.

I do try to take this positevely though. I think I'll try to get some smaller tangs this time around and by that I mean adult size since I always get tiny fish to begin with.

I'm think I'll get a mimic lemon peel tang and a white tail. I've read that many people have kept them a purple tang as long as they are all added at the same time. So we'll see.

Mind to share how to taking photo of your tank?

I'm using a GoPro Hero2 with the red spot setting on (for when your shooting from darker spaces into lighter spaces). Pretty much a rugged point and shoot cam. Then I adjust the color and light in Lightroom. Usually I just have to do some cropping since the lens is so wide and it has to be at least 4 feet away to get any focus.

I found that turning totally eliminating all ambient light really helps getting good shots. I usually have to keep the lights on late or turn them on early to get any good shots without reflection or color distortion. Shooting at 90º angles also helps to since it eliminates alot of the distortion.

Beautiful tank. Photos are great. Gotta follow this :) Whats the green coral on the bottom left side with all the tentacles?

That's my Long Tentacle Anemone. He can open up to double that size. It's awesome and frightening at the same time. I'm happy as long as he stays away from the SPS on the other side of the tank.

Nice tank! I like the lights.

Sorry you lost those fish, they are $$$ ones too...

Yeah, that was an expensive day. I'm glad that I held off naming them until they got out of quarantine. I really hate loosing fish and coral, that sense of failure... I'll just be glad when I can get that purple tang back in the display so I can sleep soundly at night.

One of my MP10's came in yesterday... Broken. The impeller was broken off the wet side, inside the box?! So now I'm waiting for Ecotech to send me my replacement. Great customer service so far, just not a fan of having to temporarily "pay" for a part that was screwed up to begin with.

Replacement MP10 wet side came in today. Works like a charm. Now I just need two more. Going to run two at reef crest and the other on the wave setting.

Picked up some things at a local reefers place.

-Monti Stetosa

-Red Mili

-Green Tabling Acro

-Two nano elegances [one for this tank, one for the ADA(Savvy)]

-Purple Maze Brain

-Rainbow Acan Lord

-Frogskin Acro

Archived