Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Biocube 29 Powerhead Type And Placement

laspell

I realize this topic has probably been worked to death but i would appreciate suggestions. I have a biocube 29 with the stock pump. Circulation seems to be OK but I continue to read a powerhead would be a good idea. If so, I'm seeking advice as to best one to get (I'm on a budget), and it's placement within the tank.

Thanks for the help.

Two MP40 on each side.

Nah.

It depends on what you want to have in the tank for livestock and corals. Some folks stick with the stock return pump. Some upgrade it and stick two MP10s in there, too. Most are somewhere in between.

I have an MJ-1200 and one MP10, but it is usually turned down to 25-35%.

Thanks. I have a mix of coral and livestock. Someone told me to stick a Hydro Korval 425 on the right side between the two returns and that should be enough.

What do you all think?

It is going to depend on your rockwork. And specifically what corals and what fish. Some need high flow, others need low. Placement of corals in a tank is based on flow and light needs of each critter. You may need a dead spot if you want to have something sensitive to too much flow, you may want to eliminate all dead spots otherwise.

In other words: your question cannot be answered simply with only the information given.

I started with the stock return and one Koralia 425, and upgraded as desired based on research.

Thanks. Right now I'm using stock lighting so my coral is mushrooms, candy cane and a zoa. Have usual clean up crew with sexy shrimp and a cleaner shrimp. Only 3 fish, tank bred clown, purple firefish and a green clown goby. I plan to add more coral soon.

Eventually will change up the lighting, probably a year off when I can afford led's.

So right now, you have nothing that needs high flow, or high lighting.

If you want to grab a 425, which aren't horribly expensive, you can experiment with locations in your tank to minimize dead spots. That will help decrease the likelihood of a cyano outbreak to some extent.

It is going to depend on your rockwork. And specifically what corals and what fish. Some need high flow, others need low. Placement of corals in a tank is based on flow and light needs of each critter. You may need a dead spot if you want to have something sensitive to too much flow, you may want to eliminate all dead spots otherwise. In other words: your question cannot be answered simply with only the information given. I started with the stock return and one Koralia 425, and upgraded as desired based on research.

This. It all depends on your rockwork (shape, height, caves, etc), and the requirements of your livestock flow-wise. Want to see your mushrooms and ricordea really open up and relax, put them in a very low flow spot. This is very hard to do with a MP10 in there!

All corals have their sweet spot in your tank, finding it is a challenge. But when placed there, you will know. The coral will immidiatly open up, relax, and sigh a breathe of relief. The Koralai 425 is a good starting point. I would also suggest upgrading the stock Biocube pump with the Pico Evolution 1200, it consumes only 8 watts of power for 325gph of flow (a lot less heat into your water). Use the stock pump to mix your water changes.

i use a mj-1200 for return pump and have two koralia nano powerheads running by alternating on 45 second cycles. life is good....if eventually you have you water cycle pump crap out or your main tank pump crap out you could chage that the if you wat to reduce, or you could loc line the output and spilt the flow.....

Archived