Cultivated Reef

Moon lighting for a Pico Reef

Nudibranch

Nudibranch

I'm setting up one of the Red Sea Deco Art Aquariums for a pico reef. I'm converting the lamp it comes with to a 13W 50/50. I'm interested in putting a moon light on it as well. Keep in mind this tank is .75g at best. Any one have any ideas? LEDs? I would think even a 1W luxeon LED would be too much. Should I just scrap the moon light idea?

Cellenzweig

Why would you use a luxeon? They are way too bright. Just use a common blue LED or an ultrabright blue on the proper dimmer.

Nudibranch

I wasn't going to use a luxeon. I thought about it until I did more research and found out how bright they are. That's why I thought a luxeon would be too birght. But I can't find regular LEDs anywhere. If you know of a place wher I can get a reg. LED in the 470nm-480nm range let me know!

Cellenzweig

you just want one? I have a few extra around. I'll toss one in the mail for you if you like. I also have some different resistors sitting around. Let me know the power supply voltage and I'll see if I have the right one.

PM me and let me know if you want it and where to send it...

Colin

Nudibranch

I found one with a 85.00mcd would that be ok? It was a flat 3mm one. Since they were a free sample I got 2 now I just need to get a 3.6V power supply or and adequate resistor.

I made a ABS canopy for mine( as well as for my 2.5,5.5,and a 10) and put two 7w lamps in it as well as a Blueline Moonlight (cluster of 4 blue LEDS) and I bounce the LEDS light beams off the reflector instead of straight into the tank.

Nudibranch

Even still on a .75 gallon tank reflecting a regular LED with a 1000+mcd would be way too much. That's why I was interested in the 85mc one that I found.

Archived