inTank Media Baskets

What is moonlighting

jeanbaptiste9

jeanbaptiste9

I have been hearing alot about moonlighting. Whats the difference between this and actinic lighting if any??

Dolfan0925

Just put my moonlights in Saturday. They are tiny blueish lights. They are the same (Lumins? Whatever the frenquency of the moon is or whatever) as the moon. They are supposed to simulate the moonlight. They are supposed to help with some coral propogation, not to mention that in the middle of the night you can actually SEE your tank! I just saw last night that one of my false percs during the night is hosting in a little patch of ciano algea. Doesn't do it during the day. Weird, also found out I still have a pepperment shrimp alive that only comes out after dark. I love em, u really get to see alot that you can't normally see at night. If u need help on them my buddy Dave is putting everything we did(I wasn't the brains behind it) together to help other people. We did my 10g(2 moonlights), his 62(ish?) bowfront(6-8 lights? he wasn't finished), another guys 150(ish?) bow front(~12 lights), and another guys 275(ish) that's built in the wall(16 lights). It creates the shimmer look that halides create.

jeanbaptiste9

Yeah I need help b/c I am buying a nanocube and I dont know a thing about moonlighting. Do I still use actinics if I have moonlighting?? Can you link me photo's or websites with more info until you all help me???

thankz

Dolfan0925

U still wanna use the actinics. Moonlight doesn't have hardly any wattage, so photosynthetic organisms don't gain anything from it. It's just like having your actinics on a lil before your 10k's come on on the morning and after they kick off at night to simulate dawn/dusk. I'll look around for a site for ya, my buddy's not gonna have the info down for a lil bit cuz we just got done doin it. I'll see if I can put a rush on it.

jeanbaptiste9

Thank's dolfan! I also did a little research on this site last night and got a great deal of info. I think the concept is cool and functional at the same time. I does not look as hard to set up as I thought. I want to get all of my lighting on sequential timers. so my actinics will come on first, then the "white lights", then when the "White lights" cut off my actinics will stay on for another hour. finally when the actinics cut off the moonlights will remain on all night until the lighting cycle starts again the next day.

jeanbaptiste9

Thank's dolfan! I also did a little research on this site last night and got a great deal of info. I think the concept is cool and functional at the same time. I does not look as hard to set up as I thought. I want to get all of my lighting on sequential timers. so my actinics will come on first, then the "white lights", then when the "White lights" cut off my actinics will stay on for another hour. finally when the actinics cut off the moonlights will remain on all night until the lighting cycle starts again the next day.

Cellenzweig

That's the idea! The best timers I have found are the difital ones that mount into a receptical box and control an outlet. They are extremely reliable. They keep the time if the power goes out and also, there are no pins to fall out (I've had this problem on a copuple occasions).

To avoid buying another timer, you can even leave the moonlights on 24/7 if you want. They aren't noticable when the other lights are on and LEDs have a life of 100,000 hours, so you don't have to worry about them burning out any time soon. And best of all, if you want to DIY, you can get the parts for a few bucks.

Colin

Archived