Innovative Marine Aquariums

Red mini maxi carpet aneome

Thelizardkin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had one of these briefly too! Got if off Ebay, don't remember the seller. I didn't pay too much though, $45. It was healthy when it arrived, but like someone else said, it moved around a lot; never seemed to be happy.

Eventually disappeared altogether :(

Hearing all these stories makes me feel like it won't last long, however it hasn't moved at all and seems fairly happy. At least as far as I can tell. :P

I have one, or actually two. I went back to my apt at school to do maintenance and it had split while I was gone. One was by the sand bed and the other was by the overflow. Both were really bloated up. They ate just fine. They did move a lot from the original rock so I might place them in my fuge with my sexy shrimp when I get my new tank set up. I thought they'd get bigger before they split though, both are about 1.5" diameter. Original was maybe 2.5" diameter

I have one, or actually two. I went back to my apt at school to do maintenance and it had split while I was gone. One was by the sand bed and the other was by the overflow. Both were really bloated up. They ate just fine. They did move a lot from the original rock so I might place them in my fuge with my sexy shrimp when I get my new tank set up. I thought they'd get bigger before they split though, both are about 1.5" diameter. Original was maybe 2.5" diameter

how long have you had them?

want to sell the split? :D

I think I've had it for a couple months. Yes I would be willing to sell the split (difficult part is figuring out which is the split vs original, haha). Never shipped coral though, but if you know how and want to make an offer then I'm up for it.

Bongo Shrimp

These anemones are not new to the trade but recently many wild ones are being collected. They were originally offered by ATL several years ago. It still has not been determined exactly what species they are although the general accepted consensus is that they are neither haddonis (yes, many people insist they are baby haddonis) or the normal maxi mini anemone (Stichodactlya tapetum). Most, if not all, of the wild ones coming in die within weeks or months however the ATL strain is extremely hardy. I have 3 directly from ATL and they are extremely hardy. I even had one go through a vortech and then live to climb back on the rocks and recover. They split every 2 weeks or so if you feed them enough. The reason the captive bred ones (AKA the ATL strain) command such a high price is because they are proven to be extremely hardy.

altolamprologus

These anemones are not new to the trade but recently many wild ones are being collected. They were originally offered by ATL several years ago. It still has not been determined exactly what species they are although the general accepted consensus is that they are neither haddonis (yes, many people insist they are baby haddonis) or the normal maxi mini anemone (Stichodactlya tapetum). Most, if not all, of the wild ones coming in die within weeks or months however the ATL strain is extremely hardy. I have 3 directly from ATL and they are extremely hardy. I even had one go through a vortech and then live to climb back on the rocks and recover. They split every 2 weeks or so if you feed them enough. The reason the captive bred ones (AKA the ATL strain) command such a high price is because they are proven to be extremely hardy.

^yep. The ATL ones have been in captivity since '06 I believe and are ridiculously hardy. I had one go through my overflow and sit in the filter sock for a few days. I finally removed it and put it back in the tank and it acted as if nothing happened.

For the record (and I do know the owners of ATL personally so you can trust my word), these are not any known species. They are NOT maxi minis and certainly aren't small haddonis. They reach an absolute maximum size of about 1.5 inches, though they typically get no bigger than 1.25 inches before splitting (haddonis are much much bigger and never split. maxi minis are bigger and split much less frequently). The wild ones you see being sold cheap almost never live, but the ATL ones will live for years on end (we don't know the actual lifespan since they haven't died yet)

@ steelcube: Technically there is no "original and split" since they split directly in half. Though when they do split slightly unevenly, the smaller one typically walks away while the larger stays put.

Thelizardkin

I knew it wasn't a haddonis but I did say it looks like a mini red carpet actually other than size and the green mouth these look exactly like red carpets the color is exactly the same

Bongo Shrimp

I knew it wasn't a haddonis but I did say it looks like a mini red carpet actually other than size and the green mouth these look exactly like red carpets the color is exactly the same

Color has nothing to do with identification. There are a few key things other than the facts outlined by alto about size and behavior that show how they are not haddonis. One being the tentacles on the very rim and two being the mouth. They are different than maxi minis in their mouths and rim tentacles as well. Also the fact that they split so readily.

I'm surprised ATL is only asking $100 for them. Other places that probably have the same strain are charging upwards towards $175.

Color has nothing to do with identification. There are a few key things other than the facts outlined by alto about size and behavior that show how they are not haddonis. One being the tentacles on the very rim and two being the mouth. They are different than maxi minis in their mouths and rim tentacles as well. Also the fact that they split so readily.

Could you point out the difference?

I have a small like green one that is almost identical to a larger carpet but much smaller in size compared to my other maxis, lack of extended rim tentacles and it's foot appears to be in the sand bed.

Thelizardkin
I think there's a miscommunication going on I know these are not baby haddoni kinda like eagle eye zoanthids look like whammin watermelons but they're not

I'm surprised ATL is only asking $100 for them. Other places that probably have the same strain are charging upwards towards $175.
Mine was only $45

@ steelcube: Technically there is no "original and split" since they split directly in half. Though when they do split slightly unevenly, the smaller one typically walks away while the larger stays put.

haha, yes I understand, I was just trying to make a (bad) joke since the person specifically requested the split.

I purchased mine from the lfs believing it was a maxi-mini like I see in many pictures here and another employee seemed to believe they might be haddonis but if they're only going to be 1.5" max I may trade both in for other stuff.

Bongo Shrimp

Could you point out the difference?

I have a small like green one that is almost identical to a larger carpet but much smaller in size compared to my other maxis, lack of extended rim tentacles and it's foot appears to be in the sand bed.

Well the difference between maxi minis and these red guys other than size and splitting frequency is that they have shorter, stubbier rim tentacles and the mouths are different colors an even shapes (it can be variable). I can't say what your other green one is without a pic.

I think there's a miscommunication going on I know these are not baby haddoni kinda like eagle eye zoanthids look like whammin watermelons but they're not

Mine was only $45

Ok I got you. My bad.

Well the difference between maxi minis and these red guys other than size and splitting frequency is that they have shorter, stubbier rim tentacles and the mouths are different colors an even shapes (it can be variable). I can't say what your other green one is without a pic.

Haven't seen it split yet but it does have the almost non-existent rim tentacles with a flesh/pink mouth

DSC_1247.jpg

DSC_0900.jpg

Bongo Shrimp

Haven't seen it split yet but it does have the almost non-existent rim tentacles with a flesh/pink mouth

DSC_1247.jpg

DSC_0900.jpg

Looks like a typical maxi mini (lines between the tentacles are a giveaway) doing they typical funky things maxi minis do. But really they just act weird sometimes. Maybe try feeding him more?

Archived