Cultivated Reef

Fragged the green hairy shrooms!

jdiver

Last night I finally summoned the courage to make the first cut and I fragged one of my green hairy mushrooms! There happened to be one that had moved mostly onto the substrate, so all it took was a little snip to get him off the rock. From there I cut it into 4 (somewhat) equal pieces. I must say it was pretty disconcerting when I made the first cut and the mushroom's "guts" were exposed. I have 2 of the pieces sitting on crushed coral substrate and the other 2 pieces sitting on some rubble rock. So far so good. The pieces look healthy and the mother colony is expanded fully. Now I just have to wait to see what happens.

Does anyone have any idea about how long it will take until a new mushroom will form (mouth and all) from each piece?

mileage may vary.

if they attach you should expect recovery and growth in about 3~4 weeks.

pedal laceration (natural) is the fastest growth method (as quick as 7 days for a little mushroom).

edit: sorry, that doesn't include the mouth.

Thanks for the info. Are you saying the 3-4 week guesstimate doesn't include a new mouth growing? I would have assumed the mouth would form early in the process to be able to eat. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

logically it should be the mouth first but i think (not being a marine biologist) the anenome goes into photosynthesis first.

i usually see the tubercles(?) develop first during budding as the first evidence of a viable offspring. the mouth may develop relatively quick but it may be very minute as the animal continues to develop its gastro-cavity (whatchamacallits, stomach, colon, etc.). maybe one of the tubercles i normally see is actually the mouth. ???

Archived