Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hypsophrys: 2.5 Minibow

TheCheat

Hello,

I have a question for you, if you don't mind: How are your corals fairing under the 6500k curly light?

I'm thinking about putting the Minibow 2.5 setup in my cubicle at the 'ol office, but I'm occasionally gone for long weekends, and I wouldn't want the evaporation to get rediculous. Have you had any problems in that arena? The reason I ask is because I'm hesitant to create an auto topoff system (it might not go over so well with the bosses if i've got a whole mess of stuff all over my desk).

Thanks for your help man.

OH, and anybody else (Whitten, perhaps) who cares to chime in on this issue... Please Do!

Take it easy,

~B

I got 6500k curly q's over my 20 gallon propagation tank, 6 14w curlys. Got them at HD in packs of 3 for $8.98 what a deal! They work great, full polyp extension and good growth! Many argue that the kelvin rating is to low, but in nature the kelvin rating is about 5000-6000k, visually they aren't as appealing to the eye as a 50-50, but you can't argue with the growth.

thanks guys.

i'm glad to hear that the lights keep the corals happy. that's mainly what i'm looking for. you're right though, i can see how some actinic might be nice. i think somebody out there makes a screw-in 50/50 bulb.

that little topoff idea seems like it's totally worth a try. it should only cost about 10 bones anyway.

thanks!

b

Cellenzweig

The screw in 50/50 bulbs are made by Coralife and come in 10w and 20w. I believe All Glass Aquariums makes similar bulbs as well...

I use the 20 watt coralife 50/50s and Im very pleased with them. Excellent color and so far its keeping my Zoos super vibrant. I'm starting to add LPS and we will see how it goes. I think they will love it.

Yes All-Glass also makes straight 10k bulbs and also Freshwater bulbs.

Looselyhuman

Sorry for missing this.

The corals seem to be growing well under these bulbs. However, I did just tear down the 2.5g due to the ridiculous evaporation rate: 2 days = 20-30% loss.

All the critters from that tank have been moved to a 10g -- lit w/2 of the same bulbs. Everything seems to be thriving.

A word of caution on the bulbs, though: their PAR value seems to diminish greatly after 3-6 months (or even less). If I was patient enough to order online and wait, I'd get the Coralife 50/50 20w instead.

Good luck, HTH,

Ian

Cellenzweig

That's about right. The sun outside on an average day is ~5600 degrees kelvin. That is the temperature that "outdoor balanced" film is calibrated to.

Archived