inTank Media Baskets

Worth the Effort?

RC1313

Hey guys, just recently got a steal at the local Petco, 20 bucks for a snowflake clown! Haha it's in QT now, and i'm debating on whether I want to try and breed it for the blue stripe on its tail. I'm not sure how rare that is, but heres a pic. 043E69B7-38DB-4425-8362-2C5A4B39C22D-1382-00000243EAFEE16F.jpg

It's actually bigger, and more of a dark purple color, but I cant get him to hold still. So, what do you guys think? Would the blueness breed down the line? I'm not really researched on breeding, but I would be willing to because I think it's sweet! So, let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Alpha Aquaculture
The blue comes from the black trying to bleed through the white that's why u get that blue

I have been studying HD macro images of many different colors of scales: black, white, light blue, dark blue, regular blue, green, grey, purple and mottled with these different colors. It seems that each individual has a unique pattern of colored scales. The hues of the colors also vary between individuals. When you see one fish with blue that really stands out and then another with blue that is only slightly bright, the scales are different colors not different shades of black. I do see black scales mixed in with groups of blue scales. I also see black sections on blue scales and black mottling on blue scales. Sometimes there is a clear line between black and blue scales, sometimes the black scales are more mixed in.

Alpha Aquaculture

Check out the different colors of scales on this clown.

IMG_1640.jpg

All of these scales are on the clownfish above

IMG_1640-1.jpg

IMG_1640-3.jpg

IMG_1640-2.jpg

IMG_1640-4.jpg

Also, I took some videos of some of my bluest clownfish I know everyone will enjoy...

The first video is of one of my clownfish with blue streaks

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/medias/1f9urf1hlg

The second video is of my most blue pair, its tough to see in the video but the blue is the brightest blue I've seen and the bands are the widest bands of blue I've seen. Its pretty ironic I went to video them and they happened to be laying!!! This is the second clutch they have had so far. The eggs from the first clutch looked very healthy and were fertilized and lasted until we let them hatch in their tank. This is the first time I have ever videoed them and they happened to be laying! Enjoy!

http://alphacorals.wistia.com/medias/c4085zgz8c

Alpha Aquaculture
^^ Those are so legit! I might have to ditch my misbar and pair my snowflake with another of its "kind"

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos :) If you want to breed clownfish for blue I would suggest selling both of the ones you have right now and saving up to invest in some quality genetics. You will probably get less blue fish if you use that female. Also it looks like your male with the blue streak has a pretty bad gill flare on the right side. That's probably why it was a $20 fish. A flared gill is a sign of poor water quality in larval rearing so it could still produce perfect babies. Although I think there still might be a genetic component to it because some get it worse than others in the same clutch. The bigger issue is that he will be prone to gill infections because its exposed. So if you invest all the time, food and energy into this one he might just die randomly down the road because of the gill. Feel free to hit me up if you want to try and find a super blue pair :)

I always wondered why his face looked funny! I'll be saving up for a new pair for sure. I have two tanks, so I might keep all of them. Thanks for your info.

Mr. Microscope
Hey guys, just recently got a steal at the local Petco, 20 bucks for a snowflake clown!043E69B7-38DB-4425-8362-2C5A4B39C22D-1382-00000243EAFEE16F.jpg

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Nice steal! Holy cow!

Also,

Amazing pics Alpha!

Archived