Cultivated Reef

ZooMed powerheads

mangrovejack

mangrovejack

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has anything negative to say about the ZooMed Powersweep 212, or 214's in comparison to the minijets? I'm curious about the reliability of the moving parts over time? Let me know your opinions if you have used them. TIA

Dave-

Mine stopped sweeping after about 2 minutes, but it started again after 2 months. A guy from the Tulsa club told me you can pull the pin out, drill it out and put the pin back in, then it will turn more freely. I'm going to try it the next time I clean the head. I do like the sweeping part when it's working.

Mine only stops when of my hermit crabs molts get caught in it. I clean it out and it keeps goin. What's funny, though, is that it only stops on the weekends, when I'm not in the office. I come back and it starts working again. If I had it all to do over again, I would get a mini-jet.

HTH,

Matt

I've used the model 212 for about eight months now.

slows down before I clean it but it never stops, If I did not clean it it would freeze for sure.

HTH,

Toy

Ive used sweeps in a LOT of my tanks and I cant kill them..... Yes they do stop rotating occasionaly, BUT this can be bennificial DUE TO THE FACT... that it creates a natural random current that a regular sweeper that ocelates the same exact way all the time cant duplicate. I use the 228/s because they run longer even when the sponge filter is clogged up.

The oblky thing I dislike, it the material they use on the Suction cups.. it gets hard after like 5 months. ALSO, The newer PH's have a metal pin in htem now and they dont jam up... so Drilling the plastic pin off is not necessary.:)

the small ones still have the plastic, I am confused though what do you mean drill out the pin?

There are two pins, one (metal) holds the drive spindle. The other one holds the output vertically so it pivots back and forth, I have thought about it and I can't understand what good drilling would do.

TIA,

Toy

FYI - Currently Petsmart.com is running a special on orders that are over $50.00 and the price of there powersweeps are actually lower then what is available in my area.

here is a link for those interested

POWERSWEEP at PETSMART.COM

I have been using one in my eclipse 6 at work and the life in it is thriving.

mangrovejack

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm gonna prop up the Zoomed stock prices and buy a couple to try. At the least it will give me something new to throw at the cat......

You don't drill the pin out, you're supposed to pull it out, then enlarge the hole, then replace the pin.

Can't remember the number, but it was the biggest one they had. I bought mine in June, so I must have bought a brand new old one.:rolleyes:

I like when it's random in it's sweep, but it didn't move at all for 2 months. That's a little too long between sweeps for me.

Just got the214 off of ebay, NIB. Ran it in the sink to make sure it's in working order and noticed that a significant amount of the "jet" is coming out below the nozzle (i.e. from the case). Jeepers. I think my flow will turn out being REALLY random with this as the starting point.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for gadgets, so that's why I got it.

BTW, my bid was like $11.50 w/ $4 shipping, so a total cost of $15.50. Can you believe that the LFS down the road sells this sucker for like $40!?! What a rip off.

JOhn

Archived