SaltCritters.com

My 10 Gallon Photo Journal

szesteve

Day 3

Decided to get a Fluval 104 with lotsa Ceramic Rings...

Realised that Ceramic Rings was a very very bad choice, so removed the CR and left the canister as an extra body of water.

The fuge filled with Carib-Sea mud and and inch of LS.

I ordered a 1 gallon bottle and didn't know it was so huge! I still have 2/3 of the mud left...but it's SO much cheaper than the LFSs here.

After everything has been setup.

I sure hope the back of the tank can take the weight of the fuge...Decided to lean abit of the fuge on the wall to spread out the weight...

Then again, the tank is glass...

Top view of the fuge...

You can see the 50W heater I have in there...I love the fuge...can hide so much stuff in there.

A shot of the tank with the Coralife 96W powerquad lights.

Haven't gotten around to cleaning the inside of the tank glass.

I may remove more LR into the fuge when i get corals...

Last view of the rocks...

By now, it's already 3 weeks...

Btw, what sorta marine plants would u guys recommend? Sea grass?

The tank looks really nice. I am going to be doing a 10 gallon setup using the PowerQuads too. Ill probably use a Aquaclear 500 HOB filter with the filter media, and then I am going to put some sand and caulerpa in there with small chunks of rock..

I think you should leave all the rock thats in the tank where it is.. Move it around a bit since you really dont have any type of aquascaping going on.

fastredponycar

nice lookin tank. what type of PC light is above the fuge? is it a 2 pin or screw in? if it's a screw in type, coralife makes a 20 watt 50/50 PC bulb that rocks! Check out scorched ice's thread. he's using them in his canopy. If the bulb is a straight pin design, you can pick up higher output pc bulbs for more growth in the fuge.

DitchPlains

I love the fuge, how much was it? My only gripe is why the huge intake ?? Looks silly to see a 1inch diam tube in the middle of your tank. I like the idea of making the fluval an extra body of water, do you have just carbon in the fluval or just water? Ho wmuch wa sthe Fluval was it the 404 model?

You could put together a little stool for your fuge to help the back of the tank.

Nice tank, cant wait to see more.

Originally posted by Noonan

The tank looks really nice. I am going to be doing a 10 gallon setup using the PowerQuads too. Ill probably use a Aquaclear 500 HOB filter with the filter media, and then I am going to put some sand and caulerpa in there with small chunks of rock..

I think you should leave all the rock thats in the tank where it is.. Move it around a bit since you really dont have any type of aquascaping going on.

Yeah, I'll really have to look into rescaping the tank. It's really difficult though due to my lack of creative genes. :P

I'll probably create 2 piles, 1 bigger and 1 smaller. My idea is to wait for the corals as i slowly add them and scape the tank along the way.

Originally posted by fastredponycar

nice lookin tank.  what type of PC light is above the fuge?  is it a 2 pin or screw in?  if it's a screw in type, coralife makes a 20 watt 50/50 PC bulb that rocks!  Check out scorched ice's thread.  he's using them in his canopy.  If the bulb is a straight pin design, you can pick up higher output pc bulbs for more growth in the fuge.

I'm not too sure if it's a 2 pin or screw in.

Here's the light. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ct_Code=JALLI13

Originally posted by DitchPlains

I love the fuge, how much was it? My only gripe is why the huge intake ?? Looks silly to see a 1inch diam tube in the middle of your tank. I like the idea of making the fluval an extra body of water, do you have just carbon in the fluval or just water?  Ho wmuch wa sthe Fluval was it the 404 model?

The fuge was about US$82. It's not an intake, it's the outlet, the powerhead on the right of the picture is the intake. :P

The fluval is a 104 model and i got it for 80 bucks i think. Too expensive in my opinion but oh well....

Originally posted by irishbing

You could put together a little stool for your fuge to help the back of the tank.

Nice tank, cant wait to see more.

Thanks irishbing,

I'll definitely consider putting a little stool. As you can see from the picture, there's a slight gap so i gotta try to come up with a stool that will accomadate the hole too...

It's a good think i've got lotsa wood at home...hehe...

fastredponycar
Originally posted by szesteve

I'm not too sure if it's a 2 pin or screw in.

Here's the light. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ct_Code=JALLI13

Yeah that's the standard two pin type. for about $30, you can retro fit one of the the screw in type coralife compact floursents it there. the best part is that they have a ballast built into the bulb so there's no need for an external one.

You could go to lowes and get a standard screw in light socket, mount it under the hood and splice an extension cord to the socket for an easy 20 watts (equalling 100 watts of normal output brightness.) OR, from the looks of that hood, you could be able to run two of the bulbs. B) I'm planning something to this effect when I get a fuge for my 29 gal. I'll probably run a pair of them.

Originally posted by fastredponycar

Yeah that's the standard two pin type.  for about $30, you can retro fit one of the the screw in type coralife compact floursents it there.  the best part is that they have a ballast built into the bulb so there's no need for an external one.

You could go to lowes and get a standard screw in light socket, mount it under the hood and splice an extension cord to the socket for an easy 20 watts (equalling 100 watts of normal output brightness.)  OR, from the looks of that hood, you could be able to run two of the bulbs. B)   I'm planning something to this effect when I get a fuge for my 29 gal.  I'll probably run a pair of them.

Wow, isn't that alot of light for a fuge?

Those are 20w bulbs, as bright as 100w incandescents, which put out most of their energy as heat. It's still only 20 watts.

A really easy way to make a "stool" for it to sit on is to just cut a few pieces of ABS pipe or PVC pipe to the right height and set the fuge on those turned on their ends. Will cost you maybe a dollar total FWIW

fastredponycar

they put out light at 10,000K though. They also won't melt the lamp housing like a 100 watt incandesent bulb will.

Archived