Coral Vue Hydros

Propagating Zoanthids?

ccapasso

So I'm finally at the point where my Zoanthids are growing a lot and I'd like to frag some off and propagate more.

I've watched several videos and read several threads but still have some questions.

All of these are growing in my display tank. I don't have a "Frag tank" per say. Most of the videos I've seen suggest that you cut the rock that the Zoanthids are growing on. If at all possible, I'd like to avoid doing that as I don't have replacement rock.

Is it possible for me to just put a frag plug or disc next to where the Zoanthids are growing and have them "grow" over top of and onto the plug/disc?

What other options do I have?

That would work, it would take a while for them to grow but it would definitely work, and would probably be the "safest" way to go about doing it. Some people have used a razorblade to carefully cut underneath the polyp then glue it to the frag plug but you'd have to make sure and wear goggles and gloves. Also there is no guaruntee that you wont kill the zoa in the process.

That'll do... just superglue a couple of plugs/live rock chips around the specimen in question, then cut the runner and break the plug off once you have a few polyps started. You'll have to be a little more patient as you don't exactly know which direction the zoas' runners will grow.

I've heard of others on here helping the process along by using the flat of an exacto blade to pry up some of the runner instead of cutting it and let it attach to the glued-on rock.

Also keep in mind that when you are cutting into the rock - you can cut a razor thin bit of the rock off with the zoa's - you don't have to cut out chunks and it really wouldn't make much of an impact to the rocks. It's really the least amount of stress and quickest way other then what you are suggesting which could take a very long time, depending on the zoa.

Porus live rock is really easy to shave off with a good razor blade.

Also keep in mind that when you are cutting into the rock - you can cut a razor thin bit of the rock off with the zoa's - you don't have to cut out chunks and it really wouldn't make much of an impact to the rocks. It's really the least amount of stress and quickest way other then what you are suggesting which could take a very long time, depending on the zoa.

Porus live rock is really easy to shave off with a good razor blade.

If I went that route, what would you recommend I use to cut a razor thin bit off?

If I went that route, what would you recommend I use to cut a razor thin bit off?

Sigle edge razor blade. It sounds nuts to try it on rock but live rock is soft enough.

This is the area that I'm looking to thin out:

2012-08-23180345.jpg

It is actually much more populated now as that pic was back in August. I suppose I can try to just use a single edge razor blade on the rock and see what happens.

Like was said before, shave of a section of several polyps. They come off pretty easy then slice the mat don't cut through the polyps. Zoaid.com has a pretty good step by step as well.

• 4 weeks later...
innercityreefs

single sided razor blade works really well, i was able to manage to cut single polyps easily, just takes a bit of time. Also, remember to wear protection like goggles and gloves as a precaution. A lot of horror stories of palytoxins :) good luck.

Archived