ReefCleaners.org

Should I run one or two actinics with my 70w MH?

trmiv

I recently added a 70w MH (10,000K ushio) to my CSL 20" hood. Right now I'm running the MH, the actinic blue 40w PC bulb, and a 10,000K daylight 40w PC bulb. I'm considering picking up one of the 40w dual actinic bulbs to replace the 10,000K, to get a bluer light.

Is this a good idea? Would I lose a lot of light intensity by replacing the 10,000K with an actinic? How blue would the light coming from 1 70w 10,000K ushio and 2 40w actinics be? Also, I know the bulbs mabe for this hood are not true actinic. Could I run a hellolights Actinic 03 28/32w bulb with a 40w ballast? I know the ballast determines the wattage, but is this too much?

Originally posted by trmiv

...  Also, I know the bulbs mabe for this hood are not true actinic.  Could I run a hellolights Actinic 03 28/32w bulb with a 40w ballast? I know the ballast determines the wattage, but is this too much?

I am using those...the bulbs are shorter in length tho...;) The blue IMO, is brighter but I still run 2

You could always get the Aqualine Bulb that has a 13000k color temp. I am about to run the Aqualine bulb and a 32w actinic 03 bulb on my minibow, which should have a nice blue hue. And yes, actinic will fluoresce your corals

if it is an electronic ballsat then yes you can run a lower wattage bulb but not a higher wattage bulb(wont fire) .i use a 65w ballast on a 36w bulb for 6 months with no problem. I played around with alot of PC bulbs and i end up with( 1 70w ushio 10k ,1 36w corallife 50/50, and 1 hellolight aticnic 03 ) got the best color.

Originally posted by trmiv

So how does it look with those bulbs?  Does it flourese your corals with those?

hey trmiv... well, i currently don't have any corals that show florescents buttttttt.... i can say these bulbs kinda' sorta' produce a black light effect. thinking of how a black light looks when shined at sayyyyyy, a poster w/ neon green colors. compared to the stock CSL actinics, i would definately say YES, they would look better. no doubt about it.

oh... on some of my live rock, i'm seeing "neon" colors whereas the regular actinics didnt show. hth...:)

oooh, that sounds cool. i have a lot of corals hat will flourese. i think i'll pick up one right now, and if ilike it, i'll get another.

i already ordered and received one of the Actinic 03 32w bulbs. I like it, the corals glow a lot more under it. But, the original blue brings out the colors in some of my zoos better, so I think I'll stick with the combo of one actinic 03, and the original blue.

oooOOOOO, good idea! so you like 'em tho, huh?!? well, the webpage i posted above says they are closing out those bulbs...and it says only 7 left! stockin up;)

Archived