Cultivated Reef

Black Snowflake clownfish with no Black and White added

Alpha Aquaculture

Alpha Aquaculture

Hello Nano-Reef!

A Black Ice clownfish is produced by crossing a Black and White ocellaris and a Snowflake ocellaris. Now Black Ice crosses have been used to make even darker clownfish like Proaquatix Blacker Ice, ORA Black Snowflake and the Sea and Reef Aquaculture Phantom. I've heard some people say that Black and White ocellaris should be considered a different species than the standard orange ocellaris. To me it seems like they are two different species. The largest Black and Whites that I've seen have been larger than the largest standard orange ocellaris. It also seems like they have a different shape to them. They do both have dark eyes and the same number of dorsal fins. Regardless of whether or not they are the same species they are different to me. So I'm curious if anyone has developed a Black Snowflake pure ocellaris without adding any Black and White genetics? Feel free to post the darkest pure ocellaris you have even if they are not completely black and still have some orange in the fins, face etc.

The first two photos are of Black Ice and the last one is a Phantom

2012-5-4-IMG_9384.jpg

CALBI17R.jpg

IMG_9110.jpg

Who has a photo of an all Black Snowflake ocellaris without any Black and White genetics and how was it bred?

Thank you for your response!

I don't think,that u can make a black snowflake without adding a bnw, dominos,midnight all carry bnw genes ,its hard to make a black snowflake without adding a bnw genes ,I agree they don't look like regular ocellaris,some actually look close to a orange ocellaris but you with have to select them ,

B4 reef n sea introduce their black snowflake ,I was putting together a pair that is intresting was trying to make a hybrid black snowflake my pair consist of sanjay's black photons first batch he hatched ##Onyx X black Darwin# black phonton <----funny phatoms ))) n a blacker ice # snowflake X black Darwin =(black ice) X black Darwin=blacker ice.

What I have is a )))) 1st gen black photon X blacker ice =???????

It took 4 month for them to bond ,for a minute I though my blacker ice was gay big girl would dance around him n he would pay no mind.

No nothing ,at first the female was very aggressive mes up the male bad, so I took her out the tank for a few days change stuff around ,when I put her back she stop chasing him ,but if he gets near her she'll go after him .after 2 month she start shaking around him n nothing ,he's about a year guessing he's still learning ,after 4 month he started shaking around her here n there nothing crazy he cleans the tile but not long just when its hits him if they do ever have babies it would be 25% perc,onyx 75% ocellaris hybrid

Alpha Aquaculture
Ill take an updated shot later, but this SA snowflake is as dark as my sa black ice.

CD7F96E5-5B6F-4338-9385-D3F854F39CE9-271-000000F0CA372A7B.jpg

Are you sure that's a SA Snowflake and not an SA Fancy Snowflake? I noticed a lot of people call them Snowflakes when in fact there is Fancy genetics mixed in. You just don't see that much black in a regular Snowflake

Alpha Aquaculture
I don't think,that u can make a black snowflake without adding a bnw, dominos,midnight all carry bnw genes ,its hard to make a black snowflake without adding a bnw genes ,I agree they don't look like regular ocellaris,some actually look close to a orange ocellaris but you with have to select them ,

B4 reef n sea introduce their black snowflake ,I was putting together a pair that is intresting was trying to make a hybrid black snowflake my pair consist of sanjay's black photons first batch he hatched ##Onyx X black Darwin# black phonton <----funny phatoms ))) n a blacker ice # snowflake X black Darwin =(black ice) X black Darwin=blacker ice.

What I have is a )))) 1st gen black photon X blacker ice =???????

It took 4 month for them to bond ,for a minute I though my blacker ice was gay big girl would dance around him n he would pay no mind.

I think its possible to create an all black snowflake without any Black and White added. The reason why I ask is because I think that the hybridization of ocellaris and percula is beginning to muddy the waters and mix these two species. Breeders are selling them and not clearly labeling them as hybrids in some situations. Some customers are using hybrids for breeding without even knowing they are hybrids. I think this is also happening with ocellaris and Black and White ocellaris through the Black Ice projects and now the breeding of these variants back to regular snowflakes. So my question is about Black Snowflakes without any Black and White genetics so we can isolate the pure ocellaris with more black and keep it separate from the Black and White.

Alpha Aquaculture
No nothing ,at first the female was very aggressive mes up the male bad, so I took her out the tank for a few days change stuff around ,when I put her back she stop chasing him ,but if he gets near her she'll go after him .after 2 month she start shaking around him n nothing ,he's about a year guessing he's still learning ,after 4 month he started shaking around her here n there nothing crazy he cleans the tile but not long just when its hits him if they do ever have babies it would be 25% perc,onyx 75% ocellaris hybrid

Thanks for joining the discussion. This thread is for Black Snowflakes with no Black and White added. I want to see what people have out there that is pure ocellaris, with no hybridization of Black and White (or percula). A pure ocellaris that's got as much black as possible.

Give it 5 years and you will see tons and tons of hybrids out there. I think its important to keep these two (or three depending on how you look at it) species separate. With the way some vendors and wholesalers do not tell you the lineage of the clownfish you buy it will be difficult to know if the Snowflake your using for your breeding project because it had a cool pattern actually had 25% of another species mixed in. So its important for breeders to buy clownfish from reputable hatcheries where they can ensure they know the genetic details of the specific clownfish.

Alpha Aquaculture

http://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/clowns/black-ocellaris/

"Scientists have considered describing the Black Ocellaris as a new species, but for now they are still considered a variation of the A. ocellaris species."

The Darwin or Black and White ocellaris is from a very limited range in Darwin, Australia. This geographical isolation allowed them to evolve differently from their orange relatives. They developed a black coloration and in my opinion a different shape to the body, maybe slightly but still different. Now all of a sudden after thousands of years of evolution because hobbyists and breeders want to make a black snowflake these two are being interbred. I think it would be cool to breed a Black Snowflake without any of the Black and White so there is a pure line breeders can go to in the future for making pure ocellaris crosses.

I can see where you are going with it but honestly I personally see Darwin's as A. Ocellaris, until proven otherwise. While they may maintain some larger charateristics there is no definitive proof they are a different species.

My current breeding pair make a hybrid (A. Percularis) but at some point hybrids become their own breed. Its the same with dogs, Australian shepards are now a purebred, but they came from mixing two other varieties of dogs.

I do think it would be nice to atempt to achieve a pure ocellaris Black ice snowflake, but until there is definitive proof that Darwin's and regular A. Ocellaris are different species any combination of the two still results in a pure A. Ocellaris clownfish.

Are you sure that's a SA Snowflake and not an SA Fancy Snowflake? I noticed a lot of people call them Snowflakes when in fact there is Fancy genetics mixed in. You just don't see that much black in a regular Snowflake

I placed the order through SA for snowflakes for the Petco I work at, and this is one of the ones they sent, I just had to have her.

Here's another better photo

E537A20F-8193-4AD8-A305-EBCFCD9EA5A9-6188-00000A71D645DDEA.jpg

By fancy snow, do you mean a snowflake crossed with a fancy white (Wyoming white x regular ocellaris) or a snowflake crossed directly with a WW? I've thinking about pairing one of my WW with that snowflake.

Archived