Innovative Marine Aquariums

how to rid of caulerpa brachypus

Duncmac

i've been battling this stuff for a few months now. it started as a tiny little single leaf on a frag... today it covers about 60% of the rockwork in my display tank in a solid matting form. im kind of fed up with it. im REALLY kind of fed up with it.

I've tried manual removal but it takes hours and i never seem to get every piece as it deeply roots itself in the rocks crevices. i feel the rhizoids left behind always spring double what it used to maintain and everytime i pull some out it comes back worse. is there anything i can do short of a complete tear down? i've moved most of my corals that werent mounted directly to the rock onto a frag rack away from this beast.

Glad to see this problem. Its very simple to fix with peroxide i guarantee no loss of rocks or starting over

All you need to do is post a before picture in the giant peroxide thread in the disease forum

People always think i over recommend it heh

There are other ways too, you can nutrient strip the water to a level that will harm macro

You can go on lights out runs and direct predation by specialized fish

The reason I'll recommend peroxide is because it can be wielded accurately, cheaply and with a bazillion proof pics in our thread w are just handy with it that's all. Any method that will fix your tank id support.

brandon- i've read a lot of your posts. i'm a rare poster but a long time lurker the past two years. i've read your miracle threads. i suppose its not a miracle... the science and results back it and are consistent.

my question is as follows:

what part of the caulerpa should i treat? the rhizoids? blades? all of it? from my understanding it'll work best with a syringe outside of the tank. i've manually pruned back from all of my corals with the exception of a tiny bit of it that's growing near the base of a 6"+ birdsnest colony i have.

I'll be glad to post on the thread and contribute my results. It's sites like this and threads like the one you've been promoting that make the hobby more accessible to all of us.

Hey thanks man. I truly think if a small patch test shows the usual susceptibility it won't matter how its treated. The big p is one way of many that works we just like the fast results mainly.

With your full tank shot i was going to assess in tank treatment options for ease of work, maybe drain and treat options

We can tell what collateral issues there will be if any, looking for weakling animals like lysmata cleaners or larger anemones to consider. The sps don't worry me at all

brandon i'm going to pm you. i have no FTS until tomorrow. never wanted to take pictures of this stuff, all my FTS are following manual removal which is tedious and lacks lasting results.

its a 20L with a 10 sump. total volume adjusted for rock ~22G

Archived