ReefCleaners.org

Major algae outbreak.

mantisshrimp

mantisshrimp

dang I removed all my liverock to get rid of some cyano.Then when I put it back in I have an algae out break the tank is green,It covers everything even the sand.I already have 8 hermits and an urchin and caulerpa.Tank is 10-gallons with 8-9 lbs. liverock.Set up for 4 months.I have never had this before,please help!

BustytheSnowMaam

Do you have any snails?

What are you using for your topoff water?

How often do you feed your tank?

Tasha

what kind of algae are we talking about hair algae?

the Hair algae bloom is common in young tanks, and it sounds like when you moved the rockwork you had a spike which fueled the current outbreak. double up on RO/DI water changes and reduce feeding for a while. After you see growth slow to almost nothing, scrub the rocks in a bucket of fresh saltwater with a stiff brush, and replace in the tank, that should take care of it.

HTH,

Toy

mantisshrimp

I don't feed the tank theinhabitants are:10 mushroom polyps largest half an inch, 4 yellow polyps,8 hermits, one snail,

1 urchin ,liverock hitch hikers.i did one water change,didn't help.

BustytheSnowMaam

You might try acquiring a few more snails. Baja snails are the most hard-working, they get down in the sand, between the sand and the glass, etc. Also check your water source- if you use tap water it may be high in phosphates, which cause algae blooms. Use reverse osmosis water, like from the grocery store. One water change won't make much difference, the changes will be noticed over time.

Tasha

it will take a while like a month to see any noticable difference.

Keep up the water changes and ride it out.

Toy.

PS. You really should be feeding the tank something for all the little critters in there.

ya, just what toyfreak said, water change, water change, water change.... i have had the same problem...but worst...all i did was add caulerpa and did waterchange almost every other day or sometimes every 3 days...got rid of my problems in a week

Archived