Cultivated Reef

ATI Sunpower

heifinator

Helped a friend setup a tank last March. He got a sunpower as he wanted to go with a tested lighting method (didn't want LED).

Bought a nice (and expensive) ATI fixture (6 bulb x 48").

Worked great for about, eh, 45 - 60 days. Then 2 bulbs would go out. If you unplugged it and plugged it back in, they would work for about ~15 minutes then they would go out. Since I recommended it I felt bad and told him I would fix it.

Assumed it was a ballast issue, contacted ATI and they had a ballast sent out. Was a little surprised that they didn't just replace the fixture or offer to have it fixed but, oh well.

I replaced the ballast and the problem continued. Contacted ATI and I was basically told (by email) that this was "really odd" and "not typical". I was sent new sockets and had to replace them with no documentation or help.

Once I received the sockets the light magically started working (had not replaced sockets yet). So we left it alone. 3 weeks later it started again. This time now the fans stopped working as well.

So I replaced the sockets, and now the fan power supply. The fans started working again but the bulbs would still run for a few minutes (variable) then go out. Regardless of outlet, room temp, fan setting.

So now I have sent another email to ATI hoping for another solution. They finally offered to repair the fixture after the ballast change but obviously I need the light over the tank. The best ATI can do is rent me a fixture for a large deposit and I pay shipping both ways (~25 each way) for both the rental fixture and my fixture.

So after a ~500 dollar deposit and slightly over ~100 dollars in shipping I can get this fixture actually fixed.

I find that mildly absurd...

Anyways, I have heard nothing but good things about ATI, and typically don't have issues with the companies I have worked with but this can go down as a bad experience.

TL:DR ATI is great until something breaks (IMHO).

• 2 weeks later...

Replaced ballast again with same problem. Going to see if they can do better than what they said last time.

Will post back about the resolution. Went with ATI because of the amazing reviews, figures my first major issue with a piece of equipment would be with ATI now lol.

wow i know they have problems with the fans but never knew the ballast was a problem as well...im guessing since everything is contained inside the fixture something is bound to fail with all the heat trapped inside the fixture.

They think they have been sending me the wrong ballasts this whole time... Getting another sent to me now, looks like 6 months later I may get a resolution!

Archived