SaltCritters.com

whirling diseases

arpanlib

hi,

i just wanted to know does the whirling disease exist in a saltwater tank also, as it is in the freshwater tank.

i lost my whole lot of discus from the whirling disease and i want to take precautions, before it hits my reef tank.

thanx for the immediate help.

arpanlib

Very interesting question. I doubt the parasite would survive in saltwater? I didn't know it was a problem with freshwater aquariums. Here in the states many of our best trout streams are infected with the disease. We are trying to stop the spread of the disease by "proper" cleaning of waders, and wading boots. This means cleaning with a dilute bleach solution.

http://www.whirling-disease.org/

hi,

thanx for the reply.

so that means the disease can be transfered??? or not.

very curious to know the exact answer.

arpanlib

I've lost a couple of mollies to it. The one thing I didn't think of trying was moving them up to a full-strength sw environment. From the website, which I did find when the second one got it, there's no cure for it.... If, heaven forbid, another fish gets it, I'm going to try the full-sw treatment.

There are so many diseases and parasites, why worry about just one?

seriousely, if your water quality is good and you dont dump chemicals into your tank blindly, it's real hard to kill fish. I worry more about nutrition than any disease, I mean if you are gonna get cancer you are gonna get it. the healthier you are the least likely to get sick ;)

HTH,

Toy

Archived