Coral Vue Hydros

Mangroves in Display... good or bad idea?

JMCollins24

I've been really liking the look of mangroves in display tanks, but I'm curious what everyone thinks about this? Good or bad idea? Any experiences with this is helpful too... Thanks in advance! B)

I've been really liking the look of mangroves in display tanks, but I'm curious what everyone thinks about this? Good or bad idea? Any experiences with this is helpful too... Thanks in advance! B)

I've seen it done.. I actually have been thinking about 12 of them in the back compartments of my nc28 sticking out of the top.. Not ideal as they may make the lid dificult to open, but they would hide the Bakpak skimmer well. I don't know how attractive it would be having the roots hanging into the display tank.. The tops need to be out of the water, and the roots should idealy be in sand beds, but can hang freely in the water.

When we move into our new house, I plan to have a fuge dedicated to them flowing to a cheato fuge then back to the sump.. That is a whole separate topic though and will be an insane build thread one day.

ReefCleaners says that chaeto and mangroves occur together naturally in the wild. The chaeto growing around the roots of the mangroves.

So, I mounted mine right over the fuge, roots in the chaeto. We'll see how that works.

I'm still undecided.. I have a great space for them behine my rockwork where the roots would be hidden and they would just pop out of the back of my tank...

You can do it as long as you have adequate lighting for them and can keep the fruit above water. You have to make sure to spray the leaves down with fresh RO water daily to keep salt creep off.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my mangroves and I love looking at them in the display. The roots are really cool to look at (if you do aerial roots that is). I have a set in a seagrass tank and one in a macroalgae tank. I don't really use light. They seem to do fine with the sunlight/room light.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived