Cultivated Reef

Spent tons of cash and its all your fault! :)

Whispre

that snail is a nassarius snail. u said ur rock was premium show rock? is it your camera or is the rock really white to me...

HobokenAddict

I looked at your site, your minibow looks likes it's off to a great start. Mine's about month old now, still just rock, but added a emerald and sally light foot, some blue legs, a red leg, 2 tiny turbos, and some nessarius snails.

I too had the temp problem. The first fan I put on my light fixture just like you did, and I drilled a bunch of holes on the other side. I was keeping my heater at 75 and still the heeat of the light and my PH's were keeping it a steady 84. That sucked. So i went to the Shak and bought another PC fan(3200 rpm brushless) and wired it into the other one. I mounted it blowing directly into the tank on the back, and now my heater has to actually work to keep the temp where I want it a beautiful 78 degrees.

Did you wire the fan to an AC/DC converter?

yes I bought an adjustable AC/DC converter from radioshack, 1.5-12volts... running that fan at 6 volts... waiting on some 60mm 16dBA 18cfm fans, going to try one at each end of the light fixture, one pushing, one pulling.

Did you say you have a fan blowing on the water? how's your evap? I'm trying to keep my evap minimal if I can.

OxInYourBox

You haven't spent nothing yet. :)

Wait until the addiction sets in and you wake up with 6 sw tanks between your house and work. It gets scary. :)

Great start on the bow BTW.

digitallinx

nice tank, but if i were you i would call dr. mac and try to get a refund(it doesn't look like kaelini ultra tonga, looks like base rock) but nice start..........

HobokenAddict

Evap isn't bad, temp is good. I lose about an inch of water a day, but i have a 6 stage Ro/DI under the sink, so it doesn't bother me with the evap. The temp is the key here. I will soon be installing an auot topoff so then I won't have to refill except every week or so.

Try first just drilling air holes at the end. The fans on both ends may be overkill, plus the noise will be annoying if they run constantly. I tried to put them on the timer with my light, but found that i needed to keep the one blowing into the tank on all time, because of the overall apartment temp being pretty hot.

My heater actually has to work to keep the temp at 78 deg.

Heat bad, evap good! :)

EtOH_is_good

nice little set up. i agree with digitallinx, your rock doesn't look right considering the source. it looks bleached (is the white balance on the camera). was it that color when you got it? no worries if it did turn white on you, it'll start coloring up in a couple weeks once things get stable.

the rock actually has a fair amount of purple, I think my pics might be off... (have a hard time telling, I'm colorblind :D )

Archived