Cultivated Reef

Ideas for a 5 1/2 gallon auto top off system

GobyMan

In October I am going to Hawaii for 10 days. I have already started thinking about how I am going to keep my water level ok in my 5.5.

All the auto top off ideas I have seen have been for larger tanks and I was wondering if anyone had a system for topping off a tank this small with fresh water.

I am going to start measuring how much water I am losing on a daily basis but I think it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/6 of a gallon.

I was thinking of just filling up a bucket w/ a couple gallons of RO and dripping it in at a very slow rate.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated!

I think I can help you. I hope I can describe this without confusing you even more.

Let me start by saying that if you have a rigid air tight container full of water, the only way water can come out is if air goes in. That being said, all you need to do is find a hard(rigid) air tight container that has a screw on cap or something similar. Drill a hole in the bottom of the container and silicon a piece of aquarium tubing onto it. Cut the tubing to a length that will just hang barely below the water level you want. Now when the water evaporates below where the tubing is hanging in it will let air in and the water will siphon out. Once the water in the tank gets high enough to prevent air from going up into the tube it will stop draining into the tank. The key is to make sure you use a very rigid air tight container to hold your fresh water. That should work for you...

Because they work great and are reliable! I know of a place online that u can get one for 20 bucks! It is fully ready all u do is plug it in the wall and plug in the pump to the cord put the pump in a FW resevoir, and put the switch in the tank. Its the best thing you could do for evaporation. I have used it for 2 months with no problems, it works great!

Daniel

Float Valves are GREAT!!!!!

I went to Kauai in Febuary for 10 days and ..... no problems fish lights were on timers and ro/di on a float valve, AWESOME !!!!!

Dont drip just incase it breaks suction or floods spend the 15-20 buck for the life of your corals and fish :)

Fletch:woot:

Archived