SaltCritters.com

Adding actinics to a pendant system

greentreepython

greentreepython

How can you retrofit actinics, if you use a pendant system, and your tank has no hood. I would like to upgrade my current 15k hqi, there just isnt enough blue. Just cant seem to find a safe and proper way to do it, without molesting my pendant.

theclearblue

Well, since you indicated that you didn't want to mess with the pendant, you've got two options that I can think of:

1) Sell the old pendant and get a new one w/ PC's built in.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=Icecapr

This one has a ballast, but there's a pendant by itself, I'm just too lazy to find it. I think there's also a PFO pendant w/ PC. They're both around $200.

2) Build a hood and hang your pendant from it (or make a cutout and set it on top) then retro in some PC or VHO. You'll have to take into account cooling it here.

greentreepython

thank you clear, just bought the pendant last month ROIII, so I cant justify buying a new one, so maybe I should just grin and bear it. Its nice to know we all stay up late, this is the best tiime for me to absorb info. First it was video games, now this.

theclearblue

Glad to know I'm not the only one. The ROIII pendants tend to hold their value pretty well. I'm sure you could get fairly close to what you spent on it. Just set a price on reefcentral and stick to it.

I'm beginning to wish I had bought one. Oh well...

Undertheradar

Before you do that....tell me...what size are the tank and bulb (wattage)? If I have read correctly from your profile...I assume it is a 250watt and a 10gallon. In which case, I would simply swap out your halide bulb for a 20,000K...much cheaper and more effective solution....not like you have to be concerned with diminished PAR over a 10gallon with a 250DE!!!...in fact, the loss from a 15,000K to a 20,000K is almost nil...but much bluer.

Undertheradar

or you could find/make a narrow striplight to sit in front or behind your halide like I did with the 70watt here...

I would still go with a 20K bulb and say forget the fluoros.

I have tried and tried to add one to my setup and without leaning a reflector up againts the pendant (like a ghetto version of the pic above) I've determined that theres just no good way of doing it on a small tank.

greentreepython

Well thanks for all the support, Just when you think you have a good system conventionality rears its exspensive head

They do make small pendants for PC bulbs. You could also convert some bell pendant yourself and hang it/them next to your halide .

greentreepython

now dave theres an idea, thanks for that one. Man if I add anymore electrical to that socket, the cops may get suspicious and wonder what im growing, there corals man corals i swear.

Also wondering about phisybusiness's nano packs sps in particular, have any of you heard if they are worth while, 140$ seems a lot for a few 1 inch frags.

greentreepython

If i was paitent, maybe I could have found your post, its a been there done that sort of thing. Looks good and professional, makes me wonder why they cant add fans to the pendants from the factory, although it is nice cooking eggs on it once in a while.

Archived