Cultivated Reef

Is my Chaeto dieing?

Mozimo

Purchased this Chaeto two weeks ago for my AC70 inTank basket. I put the chaeto in with some LR, noticed the chaeto had some greyish spots on it, just assumed it was detritus from being in the LFS tank. Last week added a few bottles of pods to the DT and one to the fuge, I just now noticed the greyish film has spread across the ball of chaeto.

1D3DAD21-57B8-4950-81AD-69D939557AB3-112-000000033BFF3AD6.jpg

Is it dieing, or is it supposed to look like this?

Ok, let me preface this with the fact that I don't have much experience with growing chaeto and could be totally wrong.

Anyway, it looks like you have quite a bit of detritus built up, but the actual chaeto seems dark green as it should be.

It would probably be healthier if you increased flow and perhaps got a tumbling effects so that it stayed clean.

I find, from personal experience, that water movement can make a huge difference in the aquarium.

Good Luck- Wizzy :happy:

Ok, let me preface this with the fact that I don't have much experience with growing chaeto and could be totally wrong.

Anyway, it looks like you have quite a bit of detritus built up, but the actual chaeto seems dark green as it should be.

It would probably be healthier if you increased flow and perhaps got a tumbling effects so that it stayed clean.

I find, from personal experience, that water movement can make a huge difference in the aquarium.

Good Luck- Wizzy :happy:

That's what I was thinking, but I heard lower flow on the AC's when you have a fuge is the way to go, so you aren't throttling you're population of copepods. But I will try that, thanks Wizzy

That's what I was thinking, but I heard lower flow on the AC's when you have a fuge is the way to go, so you aren't throttling you're population of copepods. But I will try that, thanks Wizzy

Np, hope everything works out.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the pods, if you end up killing a majority of the population they shouldn't take long to repopulate.

Good Luck :happy:

looks like the 10w halogen light from InTank. But idk, definitely doesn't look right as all. Id take the rubble out of there and let the chaeto have room to move in there to get the detritus out of it.

looks like the 10w halogen light from InTank. But idk, definitely doesn't look right as all. Id take the rubble out of there and let the chaeto have room to move in there to get the detritus out of it.

It is the light from inTank, it's definitely tight in there with the rubble, I'll transfer some back to the DT, maybe if I keep swapping pieces it will help the population bloom

skimlessinseattle

I think the problem is your only lighting about 5% of your chaeto from the looks of it. Definitely could use more flow, and for God's sake, rinse out that detritus man!

I think the problem is your only lighting about 5% of your chaeto from the looks of it. Definitely could use more flow, and for God's sake, rinse out that detritus man!

There's another option... chaetos pretty tough and a quick rinse probably wouldn't hurt it.

Archived