Cultivated Reef

Christmas camera purchase

uglybuckling

I'm going to be asking Santa for a camera this year, with which to take pictures of the reef tank.

Two things that I have determined are fairly important are:

1) the ability to take RAW pictures (so that I can adjust color balance after the fact; my tanks are all lit with LEDs and white balance is absolutely necessary), and

2) optical zoom, or a macro lens, for taking macro shots of corals.

I have never owned what most folks would consider to be a good camera--certainly nothing professional-grade, and really not even anything in the 'savvy consumer' range. The budget here maxxes out around $300-400, which as I understand it excludes most DSLRs. Honestly, that would likely be more camera than I could handle anyway.

In my admittedly somewhat bumbling searches (I'm pretty new to all this) I have found the Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR, which seems to come with decent reviews of its photo ability (apparently the movie mode sucks; that's totally fine; I already own a video camera), and it is capable of both of the above (RAW mode and 20x optical zoom).

I also stumbled across the Panasonic Lumix and the Canon Powershot SX260; neither of these seem to have RAW mode.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Fujifilm, or a suggestion for a different camera that might work as well or better?

Should I just suck it up and save up the $600 for a Canon Rebel T3i?

Would I be just as happy and much better-fed with a Nikon D3100?

If so, what lenses should I add onto the DSLR? Keeping in mind that each lens will at that point take food off the table. =)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T3i-Processor-...e/dp/B004J3V90Y

This camera is just amazing. I bought this camera for my mother and I am going to be buying myself one. It takes amazing pictures. I know its above your cost. If your really going to be using it for other things also I would def consider saving up for it.

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/b...644814692_n.jpg

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/b...445839873_n.jpg

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz252/b...199943674_n.jpg

These are a few pictures I took the other day with her camera. I need to borrow it and take a few of my reef tank.

Christopher Marks

I do shoot with a Fujifilm X10, it's a fantastic camera and the macro mode focuses super close. The biggest benefit to the X10 is its lens, an f/2.0-2.8 28-112mm zoom lens, complete with image stabilization. With a bright aperture like that, and long zoom range, plus macro focusing, it's a highly capable camera for aquarium photography. It has an all metal construction, shoots RAW, and is way more compact than a DSLR. A comparably capable lens for a DSLR would cost a fortune. The X10 also has a larger sensor than similar compact cameras from Canon and Panasonic, like the S110, G12, LX5, etc.

I am actually considering selling mine, if you're interested in it. I just got back a factory sealed replacement camera from Fujifilm, only the accessories have been used, so it's virtually brand new. Fujifilm revised the sensor design and decided to send me a new camera in exchange for my old one. It's a great camera but I just don't use it anymore, I always reach for my Fujifilm X100.

if the T3i is too pricey for you look for the t2i. The only difference between them is that the t3i has built in wireless so you can rig up an external light source without using a wireless adapter, and when in video mode the t3i can zoom.

Also the t3i has a swivel screen which is fun but not necessary.

The t2i and t3i as far as image processing goes are exactly the same. They have the same CMOS processor, number of focal points, crop size etc.

The only P&S I would recommend would be one of the Canon Gseries.

Unfortunately, no P&S is going to give you true Macro abilities. For Macro, you'll need a dedicated Macro lens, which would require a DSLR.

For a DSLR, in your budget, I'd recommend one of the Canon Rebel series, then save up for a Canon 100mm Macro

Archived