Coral Vue Hydros

Mangrove in the back of a nanocube?

saltt

Hey all, just curious about whether I could do this or not-

Could I add a mangrove or two to the back section of my nanocube? I wouldn't have a light over it, just ambient room light since my tank is a couple feet away from a window (never gets direct sunlight, though). My salinity is stable since I have an ATO. I just thought it would be nice to add one or two to the back chambers but I don't know much about keeping them! Any advice appreciated :)

I've heard of others doing it with success, but Ime, the ambient light (natural sun) mixed with overspill of the Aquarium grew chaeto but not mangroves. The tips just got extremely hard and dark brown, almost black. I broke the tips off and split the 4 up. 2 in the tank directly under the lights and 2 in the sumps with a "plant grow" bulb from Home Depot. Of the two in the tank, 1 is partially grown and the other turned black again. The two jn the sump has already sprouted its leaves and grew a couple inches.

Tldr version; get an appropriate light.

I've heard of others doing it with success, but Ime, the ambient light (natural sun) mixed with overspill of the Aquarium grew chaeto but not mangroves. The tips just got extremely hard and dark brown, almost black. I broke the tips off and split the 4 up. 2 in the tank directly under the lights and 2 in the sumps with a "plant grow" bulb from Home Depot. Of the two in the tank, 1 is partially grown and the other turned black again. The two jn the sump has already sprouted its leaves and grew a couple inches.

Tldr version; get an appropriate light.

Thanks for the input :) I just randomly wanted a mangrove, it would be aesthetically pleasing but if it's going to die without proper light I'll just have to pass it up

Archived