Innovative Marine Aquariums

Glue/adhesive

BKtomodachi

BKtomodachi

What kind of glue/adhesive should I use to bond my acrylic for my new HOB (well not really) fuge? It is going to sit behind the tank and work like a HOB filter just without hanging physically on the tank. I have no experience with different glue types, so if you could help...? Also I will cover the glue with silicon after its dried anyway, but silicon doesnt have the strength I am looking for... epoxy maybe?

Acrylic has to "melt" to form a strong bond. Silicone and epoxy won't do the trick. If your cuts are smooth and straight, I suggest Weld-on 3 from IPS. It provides a quick and strong bond. You can run a bead of weld-on 16 on your joints to seal them. I usually angle the joint at 45 degrees to spread the solvant evenly between the two pieces of acrylic when i use the 16. You will need the little polypropylene bottle with the needle to apply the first product and I suggest you buy the tube for the second one.

Check your local yellow pages for a plastic shop in your area....

The products you need:

WELD-ON products

FYI, i use sillicone on acrylic only if it's for temporary stuff and NEVER in structural applications (such as sumps or fuges).

Good Luck

BK, the rubbermaid bow pretty bad. i went that route at first. DIY acrylic is simple as heck. you wont regret it. you can make your fuge any shape or size.

nalbar

BKtomodachi

Oh but you dont understand.... lol

I found this tub and it has a very large rim, thick too, I filled it up with water and maybe 1/2 cm of bow. I will post a pic of it in a second.

Archived