Innovative Marine Aquariums

Comments on my Tank, please !

alex36

Hi there..

I have recently set up a 30 gallon reef tank. Pse view the pics at my homepage:

http://homepage.mac.com/alex36/photoalbum10.html

My set up is as follows:

Filtration : Hang on back Ecosystem with 5 lbs miracle mud, live rock, aragonite sand bed

I use a chiller to maintain temp between 25 - 26 C (Live in the tropics)

Lighting : 1 PL blue / 1 zoomed reef sun / 1 daylight coralite

I was using a canister filter with skimmer originally, but since I changed to the mud system, my corals have been thriving !!!

Would appreciate any comments, suggestions, please !! Thanks

The coral that you asked "whats this??" is a frogspawn. Nice tank love the clam but isn't the lighting a little weak for it. How long have you had it?

Wow! Your tank looks awsome. I really like your aquascaping, and all the zoanthids. I hope my tank looks like that one day. I can't wait until my zoanthids start spreading like that. Have you run into any problems with them stinging eachother, or covering any of your other corals?

cool tank not to urst your bubble you flower pot is actually alvapora or cats paw looks almoast identical bit avapora is not a rental coral that what i say at work because flower pot is just in your tank for a short time that why i call it a rental but alva pora is a wayy rad coral if you get a amall maroon he will take to is as his host check out my website you can see my alvaporta whith my clown hosting cool tank tho

cam

i was told that that coral was alot like the flower pot and it was just as difficult to keep. i think its an awesome coral and would definately get some if i thought i could keep it healthy. so in your experience it is relatively hardy cam?

Thanks for all your comments, really appreciate all of them. So far, all the corals in my tank have been doing well. I have had them for about 3-4 months. The lighting can be better, but for a tank this size, so far its adequate. I would definitely go for metal halide as the intensity and penetration would be much better, also the ripple effect and magnification caused would also be good for the corals, but MH also much costlier.

Thinking of getting a blue legged hermit to stir up the sand bed now and then... but hesistant as I dun have any experience with them. How will they affect all my coral arrangements ?? Any advice would be welcome !

Thanks !

I have a herd of small blue legged hermits, and they seem to like to hang out on the rocks. Actually, they like to sit at the highest point of the rocks in my tank. BUT, I do have one that has pale-blue legs that likes the sand. Its almost an aqua-blue color. He sifts through the sand all day, but hes so little that he doesnt do much.

So anyway, I would stay away from a small regular blue leg hermit. I doubt it will do anything to your sand bed.

Oh, and mine never touch my corals. They steal food from them, and sometimes run over my polyps, but I think they're pretty harmless.

hey guys ill give ya some stuff on the alvapora .its not hard to keep at all the way i look at reefkeeping is thinks are har if you make them hard alvapora is pretty hardy mine thrives in my tank it like moderate light and moderate current it eats stuff outta the water and is bright green and my clown loves it sooo that my 2 cents on it just do your reacerch

cam

A VERY nice setup! I love the layout of the corals. Tank looks very clean too.

I love the Fox coral. You have a very nice collection of button polyps.

What lighting are you exactly using? Is it NO flourcesants? Whats the watts?

How is the clam doing under the lighting? Have you seen any growth?

Can you please give some history about the tank? for example, problems, algae outbreaks, general progress etc.

Thanks.

Archived