Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chaeto not doing so well

peacepleasure

peacepleasure

I recently modified my aqua clear 50 into a refugium, been running for about 2-3 weeks. I have a small handful of chaeto in it and a diy 13w (60w equivalent) CFL 6500K installed into a gang box that goes onto the back of filter, the light shines into the filter box. The surface water of the filter seems really slow, almost stagnant like but there is good flow coming out of the filter into the display, I have the intake tube on max flow. I get a tan/rust like flake film on the water surface of the filter and the chaeto also. I am wondering if this is what is causing my chaeto to not do so well. It looks to be slowly dieing. Could it need more water flow or maybe more light or both?

peacepleasure
How clean is you tank ? What do you have in it? How much do you feed your livestock? Is there enough nutrients for the chaeto to feed on?

The tank is still young, 3 or so months old so it is going through it's ugly stage. I have LR, various coral (zoos shrooms, leather, torch), CUC, bare bottom, and one O-clown. I feed it one a day, a smiggin of frozen food. I tested my phos and nitrates yesterday... phos used to be .25, it is now 0, and nitrates test always showed around 40 (a big reason why I did a fuge) but are now down to 20. So there is food for it to eat, and it is seeming to do its job, it just looks to be dieing...slowly.

Maybe your light on the chaeto isn't on long enough each day. When I kept chaeto algae I had my display tank light on 8 hours and the light on my chaeto on for the other 16 hours (reverse lighting schedule). My chaeto was in an AC70 and it would double in size and fill the whole AC70 in about a week, I trimmed and chopped that thing in half, all of the time.

peacepleasure
Maybe your light on the chaeto isn't on long enough each day. When I kept chaeto algae I had my display tank light on 8 hours and the light on my chaeto on for the other 16 hours (reverse lighting schedule). My chaeto was in an AC70 and it would double in size and fill the whole AC70 in about a week, I trimmed and chopped that thing in half, all of the time.

My chaeto light is on a reverse cycle of 14 hours.

Archived