ReefCleaners.org

ricordia and spaghetti worms

xcajx

I have some spaghetti wroms (or at least i think they are, long beige/brown tentacle things that are maybe 2-3 inches long, only come out at night, seem to completely disappear into rock) living on the tiny base rock one of my ricordias is attached to. Will they cause any trouble?

Thanks,

Chris

Are you sure they are not fireworm/bristleworms? My spaghetti worms are a pure white tenticals and you never seen the worm part. Fireworms live in rock and will be trouble. They dig holes in rock and eat everything. Try and lure them out with dried phytoplakton and see if they have a row of bristle on each side. If so reach in and pick them out. ;) With tongs. or get a trap.

nah, no bristles at all... they seem harmless, but we will see. I think they are actually white, but my eyes fool me when using a little flashlight.

• 3 weeks later...

They look spooky but don't often harm corals. Or, to put it another way, the harmful species of bristle worms aren't that common and the common ones aren't harmful. Funny that you've got a sphagetti worm living under your ricordia, I have one too! A bright red one. From what I've heard they're completely harmless detritus feeders and a bit on the delicate side.

Archived