Pod Your Reef

NEED INSTALLATION HELP...

Beachmama23

Dear Stevie....

Just got my order from you guys yesterday and I wanna say thank you so much for the 1 day turn around...amazing :)

However we're having some trouble with the install right now.

We're trying to set up the Coral Life 29 Media Rack and the Tunze 9002 Skimmer.

I'm watching and have the picture for installation up on my ipad.

I can't get both the skimmer and the media rack to fit together in chamber 2 as the video and pictures show.

Do you have any suggestions?

It seems like the chamber is too small for both items to fit set up?

Sigh...what am I doing wrong or not doing? Is there anything that needs to be manually modified or cut to make these fit in the Coral Life Tank?

My husband is helping me do the setup and I'm showing him the video and photos.

Also the black lid on the skimmer doesn't stay on very well, it seems to come apart easy...have you ever had any problems with this?

Also...how often do we need to clean out and empty the skimmer?

If you could please let me know about the installation of both skimmer and rack it'd be most appreciated.

Note on Tunze 9002: In the Coralife version of the biocube you must remove the tab that sticks out into chamber two from the chamber one wall. Use a razor blade and cut through or score and rock up and down. Once removed the Tunze 9002 can fit into the chamber with the standard upgraded cup. You may need a different water director if you plan on using the Tunze with this basket. The Oceanic Biocube water director will solve performance issues that may arise.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Coralife-Bioc...sket-CL29MR.htm

The video is a good guide but is the oceanic biocube. There is now a slightly different molding in the tank

You can open the bottom of the skimmer off and pull on the air hose. It will pull the lid down. Or use two zip ties to keep the top more tight. Wrap around the skimmer.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for the response.

While you were writing back he did cut that piece off the tank because he thought that's what needed to come out to make them both fit...at least he was on the right track :)

Okay so I did order the Coral Life 29 Media Rack with the water re-directer...is that not the right part for the tank?

I thought as it was in the box and I have the Coral Life 29 all the parts were correct?

If not, then how or where do I get the one that will work? The link didn't work when I clicked on it.

How high does the water level need to be in the back for the media basket and the Tunze to work properly?

How often do we need to clean and empty out the skimmer? How long will it take to fill up?

Thanks Stevie :)

How far down should the Tunze Skimmer fit down Chamber 2?

If I have the tank lid open how far up should the Collection Cup be sticking up?

Right now the right side of the collection cup is partly resting on top of the media basket.

If I wanted to push the collection cup down further I can not because it's partly resting on the media basket.

Sorry for all the questions, just want everything to work and run as should.

Not to high jack but how can I get just a water deflector for the old version of the media rack for an oceanic biocube 14. I can't find it on your site.

Thanks for your help, I"ll check back on here later to see if you had a chance to answer the other few questions.

I checked the skimmer cup this morning and I have some foam in the tube that's rising a little then falling back down so hopefully that's what it's supposed to do and that means the water level is high enough.

How far down should the Tunze Skimmer fit down Chamber 2?

There is a water level line on the body. That is a max line, set the water level at that line or up to 1/2" below it. The water level can be adjusted in the chamber by adding or subtracting water in the chamber while the return pump is on.

If I have the tank lid open how far up should the Collection Cup be sticking up?

The lid will close over the cup.

Right now the right side of the collection cup is partly resting on top of the media basket.

The weight is not centered because of the needed design to fit this skimmer in the tank. There may be a slight lean. I have always been able to stand the cup straight up knowing how it rests on the body.

I took some pictures, will post soon. I noticed that the molding piece that had to be cut on the top also exists on the bottom. I dislike this new molding design but it was to fit their new stock filter cartridge. It would be tough to cut that lower piece but if you push and slightly lean the basket the right the cup will clear the stay hold piece.

IMG_5373.jpg

IMG_5375.jpg

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_5381.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

IMG_5383.jpg

IMG_5384.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

IMG_5393.jpg

IMG_5394.jpg

The tunze will go up to a strip of molding, where the magnet will hit. This is the max height the cup will fit with the lid closing so removing is pointless. Lean the basket slightly to the right and it will clear the cup. I swapped out the coralife water director for the oceanic director in most of these pictures. If you do not engage that around the basket the cup fits even better. May need to redesign this director in the future, make it a little shorter... too many options now ...

Thank you for the response :)

However silly ?...When I looked at your response yesterday when you posted you had attatched like 6-8 photos of the tank.

I just showed this to my husband so he could read it and now only 1 photo shows up o here.

I re-freshed the page and logged out and logged back into the fourm and only 1 photo is there.

Did you remove any of the pictures or did something go wrong on the fourm?

Thanks.

Evening Stevie...

Back again because I have a few quick questions to ask and I'm not sure where else to go...everyone here seems very knowledgable :)

1) How do I know if I need to add RO water to the tank cause it's low? Is there a special marker somewhere in the tank or will something not run properly or make noise?

2) When we installed the Tunze skimmer last week there was some water in the center tube rising and falling with some foam, but the foam never overflowed into the collection cup, it looked like it was almost going to.

Now this week there's no rising water in the center tube anymore...does that mean the water level is low?

3) How do I even know if the skimmer is skimming, doing it's job or working?

I have to be honest and it's probalby obvious I don't know much about skimmers, I just was told and read it's better to have one if you can and that it can take up to 2 weeks to work.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

1) How do I know if I need to add RO water to the tank cause it's low? Is there a special marker somewhere in the tank or will something not run properly or make noise?

You will know by looking at the tank, the display will drop in level. You are going to have to top off almost constantly which is why most get an ATO.

2) When we installed the Tunze skimmer last week there was some water in the center tube rising and falling with some foam, but the foam never overflowed into the collection cup, it looked like it was almost going to.

Now this week there's no rising water in the center tube anymore...does that mean the water level is low?

Possibly, there is a water level line on the skimmer that will tell you where it is at. You will want it at that line or up to 1/2" below. Skimmers take up to 2 weeks to break in. Set it so that bubbles come up half way up the tube then leave it.

3) How do I even know if the skimmer is skimming, doing it's job or working?

A light green/brown tea like liquid will accumulate into the cup. The tube will be full of a thick nasty looking paste.

Archived