Innovative Marine Aquariums

GTI's 55 Gallon Rimless - Retired

GTi

That Otohime A is super-fine! The fry certainly seemed interested but it's really hard to tell if they are eating it.

As for photos, forget it! Much too difficult to get anything with the low light and green water. I don't know how Lalani got such great photos in her breeding thread.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been losing quite a few of the fry (maybe half gone after 48 hours) so I spent the evening reading up Pickles thread (147 pages but I have only read 20 or so) and MOFIB. It seems RG Complete is not ideal for tinting the fry tank water due to the oily nature of the product. Roti Green or phyto is better.

They hatched tonight. I was checking the tank every 20 minutes after lights out and at 40 minutes there were lots of fry. I used a flashlight in the far corner and attracted them there and then siphoned them out in one gallon batches, decanted and added them to the fry tank which was already set up and tinted with phyto and with some rotifers. After about an hour I think I got the majority of the ones that made it to the light. Perhaps 150-200. Fingers crossed!

Photo of the fry in the display tank:

photo3_zps624ff089.jpg

Pretty freaken cool your even attempting to raise the fry :bowdown: I would love to see them growout for you, good luck broski!

1 Year Anniversary photo (give or take a few days!):

IMG_5573_zps63cee24f.jpg

Congrads on your tanks anniversary!

This tanks on top of my list for inspiring scapes. Just something bout those columns that i dig! I'm setting up a 24''H tank next week and will be coming back here often for ideas. Might have a question or two for you also.

Pretty freaken cool your even attempting to raise the fry :bowdown: I would love to see them growout for you, good luck broski!

Congrads on your tanks anniversary!

This tanks on top of my list for inspiring scapes. Just something bout those columns that i dig! I'm setting up a 24''H tank next week and will be coming back here often for ideas. Might have a question or two for you also.

It's funny you say that because at first I thought there was no way I was going to even try. Then I read up on it and it didn't sound too difficult, although success is very variable for newbs like me!

Happy to answer any questions and I appreciate the kind words!

I just checked on the fry and it isn't good news. More were dead and I only counted 6 swimmers. I siphoned out the dead ones and about 1/3 of the water. I am slowly dripping in new salt water. When I added a little Otohime and some rotifers, the survivors seemed interested. It's sad to see so many dead on the bottom of the tank but I keep telling myself that if any survive, it's more than there would have been if they were left to fend for themselves in the display tank. No that it's much consolation. Fingers crossed for the remaining fry.

I think the adults are ready to have another clutch of eggs. Possibly today or tomorrow.

I went to check on the fry and feed them a little and I am sad to report they had all died. Not sure why but all I can think of is a water quality issue. I will check the parameters before disposing of the water later. I have also heard the fry are attracted to the heater light and get overheated. Might be hype might not be - will be blacking out the light for the next go round. I know there was suitable food. Perhaps too many rotifers? Perhaps the RG Complete fouled the water?

I will line up some phyto for the fry tank and also see if anything can be gleaned from the water tests.

One an unrelated topic, one of my rocks (was a live rock from LFS) occasionally gets a few sprigs of calcareous algae growth from time to time. I usually scrape it off and it reappears a few months later. I just found out it is Neomeris Annulata. Seems like there are mixed opinions on whether it is good or not! If it gets too happy, it looks like it can overrun a tank.

Congrats on the 1 year! The tank looks fantastic. I love the diverse selection of corals.

Thank you! I'm struggling a bit with trying to maintain my acros and not bleach some of the LPS and soft corals.

Thank you! I'm struggling a bit with trying to maintain my acros and not bleach some of the LPS and soft corals.

I know exactly what you mean. Mixed reefs can be tricky in this aspect.

I know exactly what you mean. Mixed reefs can be tricky in this aspect.

I stopped by your thread - you seem to be doing a fine job of it! And the photos are incredible!

Sometime while I was out between 5:00 pm and 7:30 pm this happened:

photo_zpsb65286ef.jpg

Anybody used one of these (Vossen Aquatics Larva Trap)? It uses a light to attract the fry and they are drawn in to the trap by the flow created by an air pump.

il_570xN.405266412_p05l.jpg

I tested the water from the fry tank for water and there was none. I was suspecting that was the issue but I guess not. I'm going to post a lengthy question in the aquaculture forum to see if anyone has suggestions on what might have gone wrong or what I could have done better.

I bought a couple of frags and mini-colonies from local (ish) reefers.

4 Candy Apple Red Zoas which were shipped from northern Michigan and the seller also threw in a few Solar zoas. I just dipped them in Lugols and put them in the tank but two of the CARs are opening already. Photo later when they open up fully.

Pearl Berry acro (rear left), California Tort (rear right), Red Dragon (front left), Tri Color Valida freebie (front right):

photo2_zpsd1ce8ab5.jpg

Yesterday I pulled out a small rock from the front left of the tank because I didn't like how close it was to the glass. I transferred the Duncans to an adjacent rock and popped the small piece of Miami Hurricane off it and need to find a new home for that.

Since turning up the Vortechs I noticed the Torch near the centre of the tank was getting a bit beaten up. At first I thought it was looking bad because it was about to divide and get another head and then I realised it was the flow. I moved it to a lower flow area and hopefully it will recover.

The Ricordea seem to be more open since I adjusted the Radions down a little and changed the colour spectrum to a little more blue.

Happy Birthday to the tank. Its looking great.

Thanks! I feel like things are coming together a bit more now. I guess it helps that I have been on vacation around the house last week and this and been able to catch up on some changes!

The Candy Apple Reds opened but the hermits kept picking at the rock the Solars were on so no photo of them!

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/CARs_zps43870f8a.jpg.html'>CARs_zps43870f8a.jpg

My, what a long snout you have! All the better for cleaning with!

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/photo_zpsf01f9a80.jpg.html'>photo_zpsf01f9a80.jpg

And a couple of the fish who stopped by when they saw the camera!

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/IMG_5626_zpscb00aa69.jpg.html'>IMG_5626_zpscb00aa69.jpg

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/IMG_5630_zpsc3385da8.jpg.html'>IMG_5630_zpsc3385da8.jpg

Some growth shots (not all are the same time interval).

Purple Gorg:

November 2012:

IMG_3813_zps9b56c3c9.jpg

August 2013:

photo1_zps05b30fc5.jpg

Blue Voodoo Staghorn:

November 2012:

IMG-20120902-00052_zps188f4a96.jpg

August 2013:

photo4_zpsaa69e456.jpg

Borealis Acropora:

November 2012:

IMG-20120902-00039_zps6d8742c4.jpg

August 2013:

photo4_zpseda18298.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest:

November 2012:

IMG-20120902-00037_zpsf7399736.jpg

August 2013:

photo3_zpsee1faa1d.jpg

Bird of Paradise:

November 2012:

IMG-20120902-00038_zpsb5895299.jpg

August 2013:

photo2_zpscf094c42.jpg

Setosa:

November 2012:

IMG-20120902-00041_zpsf90a8bc8.jpg

August 2013:

photo3_zps34b5dad9.jpg

Stylophora:

January 2013:

IMG-20130102-00089_zps0162348f.jpg

August 2013:

photo5_zps84d25d4f.jpg

dat bop

Not sure what that means! Googled it and got some interesting results!

I will assume that means you like it unless I hear different (I haven't seen you posting any negative stuff before!)

Not sure what that means! Googled it and got some interesting results!

I will assume that means you like it unless I hear different (I haven't seen you posting any negative stuff before!)

haha it means i like it. no worries man nothing bad you can say about growth like that. well done

Archived