Top Shelf Aquatics

lighting question

snostorm

I have a 16g aga bow front with a coralife 96w aqualight 50/50. What are my limitations on corals that I can keep? I wanted to buy a frag of zoos to start.

I would stick with low to moderate light loving corals. In my 10g w/ the same light (keep in mind the difference in depth) I am very successful at keeping zoo's, mushrooms, open brains, xenia, gsp, and frogspawn. There growth is pretty decent and coloration is nice as well.

I have had minimal success keeping montipora and acropora (for about 7 months). Both corals did well when water quality was excellent. Over the course of last semester I was unable to keep the water quality up to par and lost them both. The color was never what it should have been under PC's and growth was not the best.

I have recently aquired a baby maxima clam that is doing very well. It is at the highest portion of my tank and shows very good extention. I want him to thrive so I'll be upgrading to a 150w MH in the next week. Consistant dosing and water quality has been very important for this guy.

This has been my experience with the 96w powerquad. Its a good light with alot of potential. I think its perfect for a wide variety of coral. Just remember that for some of the more light loving corals to survive, dosing is going to play a huge role and growth may not be what you want it to be.

Starting with zoo's is a good choice, thats what I did! :)

Archived