Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help! A really creepy slug looking thing eating a snail!

peacepleasure

peacepleasure

There is something eating my snails! I seen this big flat slug looking thing covering a snail shell tonight while the lights were off. It is sorta translucent in color with what I think are blue or purple speckles on it. When I shined a red light onto it it slid back into a hole in my rock. I am seriously creeped out by this. What the H E L L is this thing!?! :o:scarry: The picture is the best that I could do, seeing when I used white light it went back into the hole too quickly.post-76490-1351574890_thumb.jpg0_..

.23.08.19.jpg]

Does it look like this:

PericelisspPolyclad.jpg

It's a polyclad (flatworm) Pericelis sp. likely.

They eat snails.

Just remove him. Not reef safe.

peacepleasure
Does it look like this:

PericelisspPolyclad.jpg

It's a polyclad (flatworm) Pericelis sp. likely.

They eat snails.

Just remove him. Not reef safe.

Yes, looks like that sorta, mine is big tho...does that matter? Removing him may be easier said than done seeing it seems to live deep in that rock. Any tips on how to remove it?

Yes, looks like that sorta, mine is big tho...does that matter? Removing him may be easier said than done seeing it seems to live deep in that rock. Any tips on how to remove it?

At night, put a snail upside down a few inches from it's den. Use a flashlight with a red cellophane covering the lens (most sea creatures can't see red light) and get ready with a net to trap it when it attacks the snail.

The one I photographed was a good inch or more in length if I remember correctly. I would just watch at night, that is when they are active. Have some forceps ready by the tank. Grab him when he shows up. Your faster than it is. Your fingers will not work to pick him up. Use a tool. Have fun.

At night, put a snail upside down a few inches from it's den. Use a flashlight with a red cellophane covering the lens (most sea creatures can't see red light) and get ready with a net to trap it when it attacks the snail.

+1 That works too, I would still use forceps personally.

Archived